Keurig - Two Devices - Merge?

Keurig machine was quickly detected as a coffeemaker device.

Then days later a Heat device was detected.

Heat device only comes on for few seconds when we first turn on Keurig in AM.

Coffeemaker device pulses on/off until auto-off after 2 hours - set by Keurig.

Have asked about merging these two devices.

Anyone else have this experience?

Thanks, MB

Yes, but not with a keurig. Word from @BenAtSense is that merging is planned.

3 Likes

Yes, I see the same thing. The Keurig heater comes on when it is turned on and runs for a longer period of time, then it goes into water temperature maintenance mode and these two conditions appear different to the Sense system due to length of time on and power consumed. Resistance heaters must be hard to identify because Sense canā€™t tell the difference between my clothes dryer and the toaster.

Iā€™ll just take some time again to bring up this post on reddit a couple of months ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Sense/comments/5xodgf/any_luck_iding_baseboard_heaters_separately/

Many of the claims on Senseā€™s web page Iā€™m OK with not being true, and requiring some time to work the kinks out. My dryer is my dishwasher is my stove is my waffle iron. Many people would call it false advertising, but I think itā€™s just early in the process. That post, however, is a very clear case of a false claim and any disappointment from customers given promises like that is completely justified.

Yeah, Iā€™m OK with the learning curve for the software and even for the engineers working on deciphering the device signatures. What Iā€™m NOT OK with is the false promises and advertising that Sense puts up in social media and on TV shows. Thatā€™s the main reason Iā€™m considering returning my Sense.

@NJHaley & @bsu4phd,

Iā€™m sorry that you feel as though there has been ā€˜false advertising.ā€™ That is definitely not our intention! There definitely can be some confusion when it comes to heating elements, and this is something that our data science team is working to improve!

I think the big problem your data science team is encountering is the same issue that myself and others are encountering - thereā€™s no user input.

I get the attraction of having ā€œno user inputsā€ or training sense. However, in the end youā€™re going to have to let go a little bit of the ego and let us help you. At least offering the opportunity to do some training would go a long way inā€¦

1. erasing the ā€œotherā€ bubble
  2. increasing the accuracy of our household profile
  3. helping build your ā€œidentifiedā€ database your data science team can use to help identify items in ā€œuntrainedā€ applications.

Youā€™re essentially trying to look in the dark when we can easily help turn some lights on (pun intended).

Like @bsu4phd, I too am considering returning my sense.

dek8ce, we definitely want users to be involved in the device detection process. I assure you that ego is not a factor! If we felt that manual training would a good use of your time, we would work on implementing it (see: How Sense Learns About Your Devices - Sense Blog for more information).

That being said, we are looking for ways to have users involved in the device detection process. For example, we recently added the ability to let us know when a ā€˜Device is not onā€™. If you see a device on when it shouldnā€™t be, you can mark it as such (in the device details screen under ā€˜Report a problemā€™). This information is relayed to our data science team so that they have more information to improve our detection algorithms. Renaming devices is another way to be involved in the device detection process.

We are working on more features along these lines so that users can help our data science team and our machine learning algorithms improve device detection.