Microsoft Edge Browser and SENSE Web V11.1 'Scroll bar issue'

Is anyone else having a problem that is using the latest version of Microsoft Edge browser and the PC Web V11.1 interface? My screen does not have a ‘scroll bar’ (slider bar) showing anymore. It has been this way for about 2 months or more.

Other info:

1 Like

Here’s a similar post (Web app on Chrome missing scroll bars), however the resolution seems unclear.

1 Like

To: @james_reilley and @chrisd253 Is the Chrome browser still having issues? You posted an issue in Dec 2019.

My 3 cents… Running Chrome…Version 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit)… In Sense under devices there is no scroll bar. Did not miss it for I had been using the wheel on the mouse. Don’t use the Microsoft edge you were talking about. Looks on the left with the devices it maybe the same issue… hard for me to see…no scroll bar, but use the mouse wheel… Sense is version 11.1… Later…Gerry

1 Like

The scroll bar is turned off from being displayed in the code of the site. So unless it was an accident by the Sense team, this is not a bug.
I assume they did this to save the space of the scroll bar and keep the page looking a little cleaner. It is problematic if you happen to be using a mouse without a scroll wheel, but other wise is pretty standard these days on Web Apps.

body ::-webkit-scrollbar {
-webkit-appearance: none;
width: 10px;
height: 10px;
display: none;

So how does the SENSE user “re-able” this feature (slider bar) in both:
Chrome -or-
Edge?

Thanks

There isn’t a Sense setting to do this. The page is coded the way its coded. But you can use Chrome (and I assume Edge)'s built in code inspector to modify the style sheet of the page while you are viewing it. You will have to do this each time. There is probably some type of extension out there to do this for all sites, but I would be wary with extensions as many are malicious.

In Chrome, you can use the inspector to disable that line of code. Since Edge is just basically MS branded Chrome with some tweaks, I sort of assume you can do the same.

Right click somewhere in the device list and choose “Inspect”.
This will open the inspection window. Make sure you are in the “Elements” tab, and then on the right under styles, type in scroll in the search bar and it should find you the code snippets which include the word scroll.
Look for
body :: -webkit-scrollbar
and then uncheck
display: none;

This will turn off the option to hide the scroll bar.

@Ben Thanks for the detailed reply. I am using the Edge browser.
@JustinAtSense - Is this a known defect?

When I follow your example on using any other web page, I see the scroll feature listed.

When the SENSE Web page is active, then no scroll features are listed.

Expanded detail of the above page.

My initial reaction is this is a lot of detailed screen management for the average SENSE user to have to make changes to. The scroll feature has worked in the past. I have examples.

Hey @Dcdyer. I checked with our front-end UI developer and this doesn’t seem to be a bug/defect on our end. Edge, like Chrome & Safari (but not Firefox) hide the scrollbars by default. If you happen to like scrollbars, I might suggest using Firefox. It’s not a defect on our side. It’s UX evolution on the browser side of things.

@JustinAtSense All of my other apps where I use EDGE work just fine. There is no issue with the scrollbar on any of the other websites or apps while I use EDGE. Only the SENSE app has this issue. It can’t be that it is a ‘default’ setting as you suggest. I provided an example where the scroll bar works correctly.

@Dcdyer My apologies - on first glance, your example looked like it was a scroll bar for the “Inspect Page” element on the right-hand side of the screen (which I would expect to still have a scrollbar).

Had to do a little bit of research, found out this was tweaked around ~8 months ago.
Around that time, there was a design decision to lightly suppress the scrollbars with a CSS setting of overflow: scroll. By lightly suppress, we mean that some browsers (like Firefox) will ignore this setting while a user can override the setting in other browsers. See this article for more information: Redirecting

chrome and edge don’t display the last device, firefox barley lets you peek at it. toaster oven is the bottom shown. android app is good. scrolbars seems to be an issue for a year or 2 ??

photos attached firefox first.

Hey there @joel.s.c14 - this is on the back-burner of fixes right now because scrolling is still capable via touchpad, mouse or scroll wheel in chrome. This is a logged issue though and we are aware of it.

So not seeing the last device is on the back burner?? I am unable to get to my last device by using a mouse.

I don’t care about the scroll bars

Sorry, I misunderstood your question here. To clarify, you are scrolling but you’re unable to see or click on the last device?

Can you let me know the:

• Device you’re running Sense on (I think Windows, because you mention microsoft edge, but just confirming)
  • Web/App Version your running

Web/ap version?? Where is that?
Yes, win 10 desktop, used Microsoft edge, Firefox, and Chrome. Latest versions of all 3 browsers, and computer has all updates as well.

Correct, in the top shot, you can barley see it on the bottom, next shot, it does not show up scrolling all the way down

1 Like

Microsoft Edge Browser and SENSE Web V11.1 ‘Scroll bar issue’ - Technical Questions - Sense

@JustinAtSense Are these two forum entries related? Is this the same issue?

This is a great catch, merging these threads now.

1 Like

Got it, thanks for these details.
For future reference, you can see these details under ‘Settings > About’ but since you’re on Web App, the browser question is more important so thanks for providing those details.

This is a separate issue from the scrolling bar not appearing in browsers - it should not impact ability to navigate to all your devices. Can you please write into support@sense.com (if you haven’t already) so they can take a detailed look what’s happening here? You can copy and paste what you’ve shared here as well so they can communicate with you directly/ask anymore questions.

Well, now it seems cluster merged over, I sent an email with a link here to support, not expecting much.
Seems each day brings a new adventure, not sure it’s what I signed up for