Multiple Sense Monitors on a account

Hi @RajivP,

Not sure this will help you given your panel configuration, but Sense now has a way of monitoring two physically adjacent parallel panels per Sense monitor and summing the data into a single account. It uses another pair of CTs attached to the middle port, so if you are already monitoring your solar back feed on that monitor, you can’t also connect a second panel to that monitor. I have been part of the beta using a second Sense monitor, and it has worked flawlessly for me (once I actually got the second set of CTs closed fully - space is tight inside the panel).

Thought of you and your situation once the beta was over. Let me know if you have any questions…

3 Likes

Thank you for this information. Can I get more information on what all is feasible. I have 4 sense monitors on 4 sub-panels. Two of the sub-panels are next to each other and may be candidates for what you are having. The other two are further apart in this home where total feed is 800Amps!

-Rajiv

| kevin1 Volunteer Moderator
June 9 |

• | - |

Hi @RajivP,

Not sure this will help you given your panel configuration, but Sense now has a way of monitoring two physically adjacent parallel panels per Sense monitor and summing the data into a single account. It uses another pair of CTs attached to the middle port, so if you are already monitoring solar back feed on monitor, you can’t also connect a second panel to that monitor. I have been part of the beta using a second Sense monitor, and it has worked flawlessly for me (once I actually got the second set of CTs closed fully - space is tight inside the panel).

Thought of you and your situation once the beta was over. Let me know if you have any questions…

Presuming you don’t have a solar backfeed in either of those two adjacent sub-panels, already using the middle port on either of the monitors, you could plug one panel’s CTs, into the middle ports of the other monitor. You would need to do a new setup on that monitor, using the directions above. Then you could remove the extra Sense from the second panel and use it and the associated account for other purposes.

Advantages of the new dual panel configuration.

• Reduces your consumption and detection data to 3 accounts instead of 4
  • Frees up a Sense monitor for other useful things. One thought - monitoring one or two 240V device that aren’t being reliably detected by Sense.

I do not use solar back feed and so should be able to do what you suggest. The CT’s from one panel would need to be brought to the other since the Sense monitor has been installed inside each panel.

When a monitor frees up and I need to use it elsewhere I would need to get another set of CT’s for it, correct? Does Sense sell them?

I have 8 sub-panels and so more I cover with these monitors the better!

Thanks,

-Rajiv

Hey @RajivP.

A couple more links for you here, in case you have any questions.

Knew you had a lot of subpanels, but forgot there were 8. You can combine any other unmonitored panel pairs that might be adjacent. CTs are 50$ per pair at the link Justin pointed to.

I’m waiting to buy a second device till this feature is implemented. I’m considering just using neurio for my second box so I don’t have to constantly sign in and out.

Mind providing some more details on your use case? We just announced support for 400A systems as noted above.

Or are you seeking account switching for other reasons?

I have a box in my garage and a box in my basement for my 400A service. From what I gathered this was only a solution for having two boxes located next to one another. Am I mistaken?

Depends on how far away the second panel is from the one with the monitor. Sense offers a 40’ extension cable along with the extra CTs so with the right access route you might be able to hook the second panel into the one with the Sense monitor.

1 Like

And just to clarify based on what Kevin said, you can actually couple two 40’ extensions together to support distances up to 80’.

2 Likes

None of this helps me, I have two monitors and my second panel is over 400ft away in another building. I have 200amp service, with 100amp to the main house and 100amp to the MIL and Shop. I just need to simply add the second monitor into the same login and app. Doesn’t seem that hard to do.

Hey @RyanAtSense

I have a 600a service with solar. I’m more than happy to buy a 2nd Sense now that one box can support 400a, but that’s isn’t super useful unless I can merge the data. I hope merging multiple devices into one account AND one display it under the same location is still on the todo list. I suspect many devices to one location (my use case) and many locations per account are both needed and would provide a ton of flexibility.

If I can help test anything, I’m more than eager to do so! Thanks, adam

Hi @RyanAtSense, I noticed on the website somewhere that said Sense doesn’t support multiple monitors on one account, but plans to in the future. I am curious if there is a rough timeline for that? (beyond the current 400A hard wired support).

We just put a sense monitor in our house panel, and it works great. I have a detached garage which has its own panel and solar, and I would like to put a sense usage+solar monitor out there and have all of the data combined into a single account. Unfortunately there is no way to run wire between the two buildings (and even if I could, the wire run would be about 100ft).

Hey @twizzstyle, Ryan actually joined the Product team as of late, so I’ll be your main contact in the Community moving forward. At this time, there’s nothing on the short term roadmap that addresses that request specifically beyond the 400A release from earlier this year.

I have Sense on my primary home, but have a 2nd “family property”. That particular property as two electrical services, one for the house and one for the pole barn. I’m in the position of needing to use 3 Sense units.

In-fact, we just lost a half-cow in a freezer failure at the family property this weekend. $1750 down the drain. If we had a sense we would have known the freezer compressor was running non-stop with an alert.

As someone who has two Sense’s on two different accounts, I would love to have them on one account. That said, I can get 95% of what I want using two separate accounts. For @fsu, there are ways to get alerts for each separate account, so you could have seen the freezer outage while your were away. @twizzstyle, not that hard to combine data between two accounts using export. Not quite as convenient, but definitely not hard if you really want multiple monitor capabilities.

3 Likes

I have 3 sense monitors in 3 houses. I stopped adding because each has a separate login. It would be really great to have all under one login. I don’t need it summed etc just one login with the ability to select.

Also the login screen has delete account right below. It is a bad location because it isn’t hard to slip and hit that.

I can’t understand why this is hard to do and it would be great if it could be added for all of us with the same problem.

1 Like

Hi @monty - there’s some discussion on this topic in the Product Wishlist subforum here, where users can “like” or upvote things they’d like to see in the product. I’d recommend “liking” this post, which covers your request here. This allows us to get more eyes on the suggestion and give others in the community a chance to upvote it if they feel it’s helpful.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.