Mystery Heat with no usage

Sense periodically finds new Heat devices in my home. New device detection is good, except that these devices have exactly zero detected usage, have no previously recorded data, and are never sensed again after detection. I’ve deleted two (I think) in the past and currently have two additional such devices. One thinks it’s a big device, like an oven or dryer, and the 2nd is a ‘random undifferentiated’ device, with at least 5 possibilities.

I have several devices that are only partially detected, such as my electric dryer (very partial data capture) and my ovens (hit and miss if any data is reported at all). But there’s no activation of any mystery heat whenever one of these large appliances runs.

Any ideas? It’s very strange to have detected devices with precisely zero usage reported.

3 Likes

Same experience here. Detected the first device as “Light 1”. Ok… tracked it down to a the master closet light as it registered a fairly “large” load of 183 watts. Next came “Heat 1” and maybe a week later “Heat 2”. Exactly as the tmcbrayer stated, I too detected no usage. I will be patient and see how all these pan out. But to its credit, it clearly recognized the “Microwave” and “Dryer”… That gave me a feel good sensation. I am NOT holding my breath for it to detect my Chevy Volt.

Chevy Volts are regularly detected. Check out the available threads. Here’s a Volt-specific one, with images; Electric Vehicle - 2017 Chevy Bolt EV - #3 by markhovis73

And here’s the massive (over 450 posts) omnibus EV detection thread: Detecting Electric Vehicle (EV) devices

The short version is EVs require specific usage models for each model of EV, and the Volt is one that has such a model created for it. It took between 1 and 2 months of charging 4-6 times a week for my Leaf to be detected once the usage model was available. Make sure you perform a full charge cycle each time, and be patient, and your Volt should be detected.

1 Like

Thanks, will keep in mind on my charging habits.

This actually happened to me today. I check the usages and it shows little blips of useage around a time when no one was home.

It has an average run time of 18 seconds and a power usage of 464W. I don’t have a clue how I am going to be able to figure this one out.

@jgreen110715 it almost sounds like it could be an ice maker…? I’m suprised, but Sense discovered my Ice Dispenser, which is rarely used (less than once a day?), but it’s spot on; Sense catches it every time I use it. That one was crazy because the usage is less than 300w, and only for a few seconds.

1 Like

I will have to test this out when I get home this evening. I have put it as a guessed item at this point but it is certainly possible as Sense has picked up each individual part of my refrigerator.

back to the original post, I too have had a few devices get “detected” that have ZERO usage. How is this even possible? If there is no usage, what is it detecting? Sense won’t detect 2 of my TVs nor my washing machine, nor the compressor of my common branded refrigerator (but it proudly found the fridge defroster!), nor ANY network connected devices that the feature says ENHANCES detection - but it does detect some minuscule device with NO usage and like 1Cent of cost?? SMH.

Things that are detected don’t always show usage history right away. It can sometimes takes the Sense servers a while to fill in the usage history after initial detection.

I’m the OP. I’ve waited weeks, and had no usage, current or historical, show up on these phantom devices. I keep deleting them eventually, and they keep showing up. At the moment I’ve got a 2-day old “oven”, with no historical usage, and no immediate response if I turn on either of my wall ovens.

On the upside, Sense successfully detected a light yesterday, which is only the 2nd time it has done so in going on two years. Now that AC season has started it will be interesting to see if it can pick up the compressors.

I’ve had a detection without history for about a month. I finally just deleted it yesterday.
I’ve had a few day delay with new detections populating many times, but it was a first for this length of time.
It also had zeros in that “Stats” for the device.

1 Like

This can happen, but really shouldn’t too frequently. Have you written into Support about it? In the vast majority of cases, history should fill in after a day or so.

I have 9 “motors”, 5 “heats”, 5 “stoves”, etc. I stopped paying attention to the devices, naming and merging and all that - its become a waste of time. Been down the road of deleting and rediscovering. Don’t get me wrong, I do like the tool and appreciate the potential but device detection have been a failure. I use it as a general overview of usage. I used to cheer this technologies potential now I find myself ignoring it more and more. I hope they get it together.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.