Odd numbers - bubble vs total

Odd readings today. The actual # of solar and usage in the upper right do not match the usage in the bubbles. not an intermittent thing… will last for a while. Win10/web app

Solar looks like it matches. If there’s a mismatch between Total Usage and the usage bubbles, as there is in your case, it’s almost always the bubbles that are wrong, especially if Other is missing. A missing Other typically means your other is really negative - your total usage of all detected devices is greater than your actual measured Total Usage. Possible culprits:

• a lying bubble - One that shows as on, where the actual device has turned off and Sense missed the off-signature.
  • duplicate bubbles - From using a smartplug and a native detection both detecting the same device, without the device “plugged into” the smartplug set, to avoid double counting.
  • an exaggerating bubble - a bubble that is larger than the actual detection or math at the moment. For instance if you have a large downward change in your underlying always on usage ( you turn off that pump that was running continuously), Sense will take a while before it revises Always On downward, even though the actual has changed.
1 Like

Thx. I should add I am not seeing this on the Android app. Just the web

That would be unusual since both the web app and Android are both viewing the same information back at the Sense mothership. Still, it could be a UI issue as you suggest. If you do see the disparity again and it truly is different on Android and the web at the exact same moment, take screenshot of both and let support@sense.com know.

I saw a similar thing on iOS this morning. The water heater bubble was on showing a usage of 4.5KW but the total house usage was 1.2KW. The timeline showed the water heater had turned off a few minutes earlier. I had to force quit the app to get the display to be correct. Unfortunately, I didn’t think to get a screenshot but should it recur I’ll try to grab one.

Have seen that too

I started having this issue after installing a mini split. not sure if it happened 6 months or so after installing it. it is variable speed so I don’t expect it to perfectly calculating it but it changes and sometimes it will show way more than the total usage at the moment and not just for 10 or 30 seconds. longer than that. I have some screenshots from my phone. my only worry is if my device usage calculated by Sense is calculating properly or not? i guess i could check the data to see if i see any timeframes where it uses more than the total?

Have you tried to close the app and restart? I have had the real-time data get out of sync and the watts will be with the wrong device, thus things like your oven could have turned off, but it updated the wrong bubble. Every time I restart (reload the webpage), everything looks right again. I use there unofficial api and I never see the issue with the data from the server, so most likely an app bug.

I have not tried pulling data out yet once I started noticing this. the below screenshots are from yesterday. Though it didn’t stay for a super long time it was showing this way in both my phone app and the web from my laptop. so it is bigger than just restarting the phone app. not sure if i should flip the breakers to the Sense in my panel and restart that? the two below images are from my laptop and phone showing the same thing though you cant see the individual bubble amounts on the phone app.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.