'Other' consumption now listed as 'Always On'

Sometime yesterday all of my Other consumption shifted into Always On. My Always On normally hovers just under 600W and Other around 1000W during the day. Yesterday Watts started gradually moving from Other into Always On and now Other shows 0W and Always On about 1600W. It looks this way from both the Android and web interfaces. A number of other reading errors have also popped up, such as a TV plugged into a HS300 showing 108W even when the Kasa plug is switched off (shows off in Kasa and on the strip but still on in Sense). Any idea what’s going on or suggestions for a fix?

Thanks!

David

I had this happen last week but I’m thinking mine was the opposite. I believe it was @samheidie that had me look back at my meter for a data dropout. Sure enough, that was the problem.
What does yours look like? Any dropouts at all?

@samwooly1 is right. This can occur with a data dropout. I’m guessing you had an extended one at some point over the last 48h. If you write into Support, they can look at your data and dig a bit deeper.

https://www.sense.com/contact

2 Likes

That’s exactly it - 6 hours of lost connectivity. My UniFi router/security gateway went out so I had to take it out of the mix and go directly through my Google Fiber router. Connectivity came back up pretty quickly but - because Sense maintained layer 2 connectivity over WiFi - it took about 6 hours for the unit to release and renew its DHCP with the correct address range. But already since I posted this (about 34 hours later) things are migrating back to the Other category. Thanks for the insight!

Any idea why the Kasa plugs might be behaving funny after this though? On the TV I mentioned I’m reading a constant 108W with no activity on the TV. When I click ‘on’ to turn the plug off (through the Sense app) the plug turns off (TV off, Kasa strip light off, off in the Kasa app) but Sense thinks a bit then leaves it showing ‘on’ with the power draw continuing. It seems like this might be an unrelated issue as clearly Sense can communicate with Kasa if it’s able to switch off the port.

Thanks!

David

2 Likes

My pool pump which has been in Other forever is now in Always On today. Other is not showing for me this afternoon.

Just like the user above, you’ve probably had data dropout in your meter. I would guess all your bubbles are on smart plugs except your pool pump and the pool was already running during the dropout

Yes, they are all smart plugs. No dropouts since the pool pump started. Only dropout showing was last night around 9:20 pm.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.