In the spirit of positive experiences with Sense, I thought I would post this. Around mid November I noticed a new device show up that was consuming about 50 wats per hour. Oddly enough, it also was switching off and the back on at least once or more times per second. I was puzzled. At the same time I had installed a bunch of TP-Links. It was also the time of year that my rather large (25,000+ lights) Christmas light display goes into service. It has numerous controllers, computers, etc. running it. Also a variety of Amazon devices came online. So I more or less figured I’d live with the problem until the new year.
Around mid January we were back to “normal” and I started my sleuthing. I tried disconnecting any and every thing I could think of, that might have changed, around the past mid November timeframe to no avail.
I finally gave up. Last week I happened to be doing some yard work. I have a golf cart with a mini truck bed on the back. I knew that it had a problem I needed to get to, but had ignored as it was winter. The batteries were low and it would no longer charge. Rats had eaten the wiring inside the cart.
AHA I thought the one device I had not thought to unplug in my sleuthing. I unplugged the charger and lo and behold problem solved. For whatever reason this caused the charger to go crazy in the above mentioned fashion.
At our astronomical PGE rates of 27 cents per KW and a 24 hour per day load of approx 50 watts, I figure that was costing me about $ 9-10 per month.
I never would have noticed it without my Sense.
As I side note, God knows what it did to the Sense machine learning algorithms for those 4-5 months.
I thought you all would enjoy this.