Support for Solar NEM Annual True-Up Window! - Game Changing Feature for Solar NEM Users

This is a simple reporting problem and requires absolutely no new complicated feature specs… All I want is to have the ability to set my Solar NEM True-Up date, and have my consumption and production reported for that one-year duration… The analogy would be the ability for an accounting application to support calendar and fiscal periods…

First, in the settings, allow for the user to set their NEM True-Up date…

Second, on the mobile app, I envision navigating to the “Trends → Solar” section…

Under the “Usage Section”, continue to support the Day, WK, MO and YR views… But to the right, add another time window for NEM True-Up (not sure what the right abbreviation would be for this view, but I am sure something like “NEM” might work just fine).

Then basically show the graph based on the NEM True-Up window, and adjust all of the statistics underneath to apply to the same window of time…

One of my MAIN use cases for Sense is to manage the consumption of my solar over production… The “Net production” figure in the statistics area allows me to figure out how much excess energy I can “burn” with my space heaters during the wintertime…

Please, please, please… This is a feature that would help anyone that is on a NEM solar plan…

2 Likes

Here is the screenshot from the mobile app that I access on a daily basis to manage my excess solar production burn…

As you can see, if my annual True-Up was January 1st, this would show me that I have a 16% overproduction, I still have about 759.7 kWh of energy to burn without any financial impact to me… If I don’t use it… I lose it…

And as you can see by the green consumption bar in the graph… I have been aggressively trying to burn off my excess production by warming my home with space heaters instead of my gas furnace…

Having this view based on my NEM True-Up date would be a game changer for me…

1 Like

OK… There’s a part 2 to this request… And part 1 above is a good feature alone, without this extra enhancement… But this part 2 would help even more…

The ability to forecast your solar production… The problem with my solar true-up is that I actually need to try and over consume and have a positive energy balance in February, knowing that I am going to over produce on the solar side in March, April and May (which is my true-up month)… And solar production is pretty predictable from year to year…yes, it varies a bit…but a forecast really does come pretty close to actual…

This would allow a solar customer to even more accurately and conveniently manage their production balance across their true-up window…

How are you averaging less than 400kwh a month? I think my Always on, fridge and Deep freezer is close to that.

Funny… I am a little shocked that I use so little electricity myself!!! And the only reason my usage is right at 400kWh/month today is because I have been aggressively burning my excess solar production by running multiple space heaters in my house…which saves me a bundle on natural gas heating… Otherwise, I would be well into the mid-300 range (probably 355-360kWh per month average)…

I have natural gas heating (when I use it), as well as natural gas for my clothes dryer, stovetop and my water heating…

And I am a gadgety person what runs multiple computers and consumer electronics on a regular basis… I also work from home…which means my computing environment is on all day long to support my work!!!

I have to admit, that while I do use electricity to drive my various consumer electronics… I am pretty careful about turning stuff off that I am not using… So lights are not on all over the house in unoccupied rooms… And I am an empty nester now, so the kids bedrooms are dark and not consuming anything to drive their personal electronics…

Annually, I consumed about 9mWh in 2010 when both of my kids were home, and I hadn’t switched over to CFL/LED lighting… I was also running a 24x7x365 file server and was pretty loose about turning stuff off (hard to chase down electric waste with the kids in the house)… In 2015, my usage was went down to about 6mWh…I still had the kids in the house… In 2020, my usage went down to about 4.5mWh…

And as you can see, I am at about the 4.9mWh range for this year… And that’s including my egregious use of electric space heaters in December… I didn’t burn my excess solar energy in January-March of 2021… So I believe that 4.9mWh range would probably go up next year… Because I am absolutely planning on heating my home with my space heaters after the new year!!!

Anyways…that’s some background on my electric usage background…

Happy New Year everyone!

3 Likes