Wemo vs TP HS110

There’s a teardown of the HS110 here. The relay and power caps are pretty big.

Interesting. Still wish they designed it to go on the top plug and shaved off the bottom so the bottom plug is still available.

I hesitate to mention it because we don’t work with it (yet — we’re digging into the feasibility of it), but TP-Link has the HS300 power strip too that gives you insight into an entire strip of plugs.

5 Likes

I’d like to see them available as a complete electrical outlet replacement instead of a plug. The WAF is much higher and makes for a cleaner install. I have a number of z-wave outlets, but they don’t report energy usage.

2 Likes

Yea I saw that, maybe by the time you guys get it integrated the price will drop :slight_smile:

They’re regularly on sale for $49.99 (still pricey, but not as bad as their $74.95 MSRP)

I used to be enthused about Homekit, but now that I control most of my switches (and even my EcoBee thermostat) via my Alexa I find I rarely load the actual apps anymore for much of my home automation stuff.

I actually have 4 different brands of switches and such now - Belkin, TPLink, a few Sonoff modules that I’ve integrated right into some oddball/seldom used lights in our house, and more recently some off-brand $5/each modules from Costco.

Yes, as a result, I have a bunch of different control apps, but since they all integrate with Alexa and IFTTT I rarely use them anymore.

On a different note, another kick against Belkin for me - our $99 Belkin Wemo Dimmer switch that controls the lights in our living room went offline a few days ago, refusing to even respond to Alexa. I pulled the trip panel off today and even the reset button underneath has gone unresponsive. It looks like my only solution will be to shut off the breaker feeding the switch to reboot it that way. I’m really losing faith in this Belkin hardware - I’m half tempted to remove it all from my setup here, sell it all while it still has some value, and replace it all with Tp-Link hardware which has proven WAY more reliable and responsive.

2 Likes

I would agree re: Homekit. My enthusiasm for it has waned a bit. I like that I can set my scenes via Siri, but that’s really all I’m using it for at this point. The Home desktop app has been nice to have for at-a-glance visibility too, but I tend to want deeper visibility than a simple glance, so mostly using Sense (for my smart plugs) and beestat.io (for my ecobee).

I must admit, the cheap Ikea smart plugs have been tempting me, like the Sonoff ones in the past…

1 Like

Agreed. And even at CES 2019 I was fairly excited when I saw the new Kasa KP200, an inwall wifi outlet. As RickB points out, a far better WAF out of these than the plugs. But alas, no energy monitoring included…

The only inwall wifi outlet with energy monitoring I have seen is the idevices one. But of course there isn’t sense compatibility yet, nor my guess is in the future.

Where have you seen them on sale for that price?

B&H Photo had them for $54.99 in December and Amazon had them for that price as well. I guess not the $49.99 I said before, sorry I though that’s what I paid for them, but I was wrong and it was $54.99, still a much better deal than the $79.99 MSRP.

Thanks I’ll keep my eye out for a sale on them, I hope Sense will support it soon.

I looked at the HS300 briefly but decided that I really didn’t need to know the energy usage of each device on my power strips or UPS’s. More specifically, having ~450 watts of load disaggregated isn’t worth the $80 purchase price of the HS300, and my household would need three or four of them (two computer systems, an entertainment center and a utility closet). As well, can you imagine the clutter of bubbles for each of the individual devices? It would really necessitate having the ability/feature to aggregate bubbles by location to view as one bubble.

Newegg.com currently has the HS110 Kit (2-pack) for $34.99, or $17.50 per piece. I couldn’t find a better price anywhere, except on a refurbished kit for $30, but that didn’t strike me as enough discount for not-new.

1 Like

B& H Photo has them for $31.98 for 2 or $15.99 for 1
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1376347-REG/tp_link_hs110_wi_fi_smart_plug.html

2 Likes

I have 1 Wemo and currently 3 TP HS110’s with 2 more TP HS110’s on their way. I unplugged and moved my Wemo plug and cannot get it to reconnect properly to sense no matter what i do. i have reset, factory reset on the Wemo and disabled and re enabled the Wemo function in the sense app with negative results. I have unplugged and moved the TP HS110’s with no issues at all. the Wemo works fine in the Wemo app and says its off in the sense app after it locates it and wont show the proper state of the plug.

I’m sure this has been covered somewhere but I really wish there was a way to integrate with SmartThings. I have three SmartThings smart plugs that I use for things like holiday decorations and I program routines with them. They monitor energy usage which is great but I would like to be able to integrate all my energy monitoring devices into Sense. I have an old WeMo insight plug that I used before I got smart things so the other day I dug it up and used it to plug my APC h15 surge protector for my entertainment system into it and so far it works great with Sense but I don’t want to replace all of those smart things smart plugs. Plus my SmartThings dimmer switches have energy monitoring so be great to be able to get that included also. If I decide to get a few more smart plugs that link up with cents is the hs110 that much better than the WeMo insight? The only reason I ask is because I don’t really want another app/smart plug type

1 Like

Go ahead and add a 'like" to this Wishlist item. That helps keep track of wishlist demand.

On the flip side, even though many SmartThings switches and smart-plugs have power monitoring features, the communications path via zigbee through the SmartThings hub probably isn’t anywhere close to latency and update rate of the TP-Link or Wemo WiFi devices - not so good for realtime “ground truth”. But Sense has also integrated with the Philips Hue lighting controller, which is essentially similar to SmartThings so there a place for that kind of integration as well.

1 Like

Thanks. I wouldn’t be too concerned with a little more latency regarding SmartThings reporting as my energy reporting switches are for lights and more interested in overall usage and getting them out of “other”. I guess I have impulse purchase issues - I made my wife stop by Bestbuy on the way to get a Xmas :evergreen_tree: and I picked up a TP Link HS300 and just installed it in my son’s room so now I can monitor the power usage of his PS4, tv, cable box, echo Dot and the Cielo breeze I have in there. Even though it’ll take a while to make back the $59 now I can turn off the TV, cable box and PS4 plugs when not in use. Now I have a Harmony hub, SmartThings hub, a WeMo insight plug for the living room entertainment center, Alexa, Sense and now Kasa… phew.
I went to order a hs110 but there were a few reviews, with pictures, on Amazon complaining of them burning and starting to catch fire.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.