What's causing this?

Any idea what might be causing this bump in watts?

Difference in bottom of trough to peak is around 1100 watts.
Peaks are a minute apart.

My pool pump is running.

Here’s an hour, and you can see when the pump was off, and when I turned it on again.

Any ideas?

BTW, I’m not at the property so I cannot visibly check what’s going on.

My suspicion is that the water level is low at the skimmer resulting in air being sucked into the pump.

Seems possible.

I assume the pump hasn’t been detected by Sense?

You are 100% correct!

Here is my pool pump sucking air.

Here is what it normally looks like.

3 Likes

For anyone following along, my pool level was a couple of inches too low and although I wasn’t physically there to see what was happening I’m almost certain the low level resulted in this. This is what it looks like with the appropriate water level.

I’ll never know for sure but I’m thinking that Sense might have saved me an expensive pump repair.

1 Like

Yikes! Does that thing run for long periods? Lotsa watts.

Seems like efficient variable speed pumps could save a huge amount of energy in that situation and could have pretty quick payback.

It runs for 8 hours a day. Sense doesn’t even know what it is :). I got excited one day when a “Pump” was detected but that was a month ago and it hasn’t popped up since. The device shows ZERO usage…go figure.

Believe it or not I think that pump is actually pretty good.
Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump, 3 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified

Electricity Cost is 12.6 cents per kWh so assuming 1800W = 1.8*.126*8 = $1.81 per day or $660 per year.

Ah, so you have a constant 700-ish watts running flat along with the pump I guess?

I imagine like all things variable, Sense is working at improving pool pump detection. Seeing those watts it seems like it should be #2 on the priority list after HVAC … if not #1.

Yes, HVAC is easily number 1.
I have 3 AC units (Sense thinks I have 6) and 2 pool pumps. AC is a necessary evil when you live in the desert…

July 12th…251.6 kWh

Do you have a variable speed pump? I had a single speed pump for years, 1600 watts for 8 hours a day for 365 days a year. I put a variable pump in earlier this year. 900 watts for 2 hours followed by 140 watts for 8 hours.

Sense did find my single speed pump but only 1 leg of it.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.