Wiser Integration Broken?

Is anyone using the Wiser integration? My Wiser devices stopped reporting into Sense a few days ago. I decided to unlink and relink the integration, and it’s telling me it cannot find any Wiser devices. There were no errors in the auth flow between Sense and Wiser.

I know my Wiser devices work fine. They’re on my WiFi. They are linked to my Wiser account in the Wiser app, and they are also linked to my Google Home app. Both can control the plugs.

Sense app seems to not be able to integrate with it anymore. This happens on both Android and iOS where it’s “Looking for devices” forever

Another weird thing is that you can only link Wiser integration in the mobile app. It’s completely missing from the web interface:

I have a ticket open with Sense support - just wondering if anyone else has the same behavior. Sounds like a bug in Sense since Google has no issue with my Wiser devices

For what it’s worth, I originally beta tested this integration and my conclusion is that Wiser is TERRIBLE at delivering software and firmware and they were really slow at working with Sense to get all our issues addressed. My experience in that beta completely turned me off to any Wiser smart devices. I’m just using them because they were provided an still work.

@portfolioso , @JamesDrewAtSense ,

My Wiser link is broken as well. I only have 3 Wiser smart devices, two plugs and my Kitchen smart light switches (the only one I care about). When I looked at my Kitchen device after seeing your post, it said “Disconnected”. Looked on my iPad Wiser app and it was working fine metering the light plus switching it on and off. I haven’t updated my Wiser devices with new firmware, so that’s not likely the cause. I’m on the Orange monitor and the regular Sense app, so not the Wiser variant of either, and did the Wiser beta same as you.

So I tried to fix by disabling the Wiser integration then re-enabling and logging in. Same behavior as you - searching for devices. And Wiser integration is completely missing in web app.

Hi

I have confirmed that there may have been a change in the system with Wiser Home Device integrations and that it seems possible this integration is broken at the moment.

We are investigating it and I’ll provide a reply when I get more info.

Anyone that is having a problem with Wiser Home Device should file a support ticket here: https://help.sense.com/hc/en-us

Thanks again!

Bug filed.

Hi,

I just learned that the Sense branded energy monitor no longer supports Wiser Home Devices integrations.

We will update the app to remove the integration option in the future.

As you may be aware, folks using Wiser monitors have been migrated to a separate app, Wiser Home, Which already has some significant differences from the Sense Home app.

I apologize for this update, but I thought I would let everyone know sooner rather than later so you can respond accordingly.

Thanks so much for your patience and understanding, though I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

2 Likes

I get it… I work in software. We remove underused features if it’s just not worth it to put in the effort to fix it. Or maybe Schneider is asking for absurd fees for their API access. Beyond the beta program a few years back, it was never really marketed nor did it gain much traction, so it’s not surprising to see this go.

It’s a bummer there’s no Home Assistant integration for Wiser, because if there was, there is a Kasa Emulation plugin that would read its usage data. I have some Etekcity Voltson plugs. and use this to trick Sense into thinking they’re Kasa plugs and collect the energy usage data. Works like a charm!

I guess I can remove my plug from my garage door opener now that it can’t monitor the energy usage there to save a watt or two, plus there’s no reason to power off the garage door :rofl: (I used it to tell if the garage light was left on since Sense can’t detect LEDs).

1 Like

@JamesDrewAtSense ,

Appreciate your update. I guess the the writing was really on the wall with the limited Sense promotion, support, and documentation for the Wiser Integration since the beta and production release took place many years ago, plus the divergence of the Wiser and Sense code bases. But this does come as rude surprise coming from support as opposed to product marketing and management, who should normally spearhead these kinds of decisions.

@BeccaAtSense, wondering if there’s any way you can provide two things:

• A mini-roadmap that at least includes these small but important product decisions. Doesn’t have to be far-reaching, but should include things like the break between Wiser and Sense code streams and what that means long term.
  • Perhaps it’s not you, but the person watching out over the Wiser variant should provide some kind of feature table that highlights the differences in capabilities between the Sense-branded and the Wiser-branded product so that users can make a “wiser” decision about which one meets their needs. If the Wiser integration works well in the Wiser-branded product, homeowners that have jumped onboard the Wiser smart devices (switches, plugs, dimmers, outlets) might actually see far greater value with the Wiser product. But right now, the differences are incredibly vague - not something a typical B2C product manager would leave blank.

Yeah it really screams “crap, the Wiser integration is broken! Eh the hell with it, we’re not going to bother.”

I guess the confusion came because there were a limited number of testers in the beta group and there was no solid communication on what the next steps were after beta? Did it go to general availability? I assumed so since the integration was added into the application outside the beta group.

I’ve been in product betas where they shut down the product right after, but at least it was communicated.

I’m not that sad about it because after my evaluation, the Wiser products were not very good. Schneider, in my opinion, released hardware with zero ability or inclination to support its firmware or software that went with it. We reported all kinds of issues, Schneider did not address any of them, and then we never heard anything again and it faded away

I’m just surprised because Sense and Schneider partnered on meters, so you think they’d be working together.

No big deal, just a learning experience on sunsetting a feature. It’s not the best look learning about a feature deprecation via a community forum, rather than from the company first, preferably before the integration broke.

2 Likes

@portfolioso, I think the Wiser product was just coming into being when the Beta of the Wiser integration happened. The Wiser Integration went into the mainstream production Sense and newly launched Wiser product. But somewhere a little later there was a code split for the Wiser line, though I’m guessing that it’s an overlay on the Sense code stream, since Sense still does all the backend operations for the services for Wiser (and for utility customers as well). As you highlight, the Wiser Integration features were never supported well on the Sense branch of the product - my pet peeve was the 1MW spikes that sporadically spilled out of the Wiser devices. I do think the Wiser variant was a good move on the part of Sense - it got them into Home Depot and Lowes, as well as more generally the building supply channel. BTW - the Sense partnership with Square D / Wiser is on this OEM deal, plus Square D smart panels, not meters, so really a different sales strategy for Sense. Enables Sense to get installed via builders.

I’m just a little piqued, like you, that there was no communication from Sense product management on what they are doing. Someone knew this was coming and chose not to tell end-users or didn’t think it was important.

4 Likes

@JamesDrewAtSense
The Wiser integration still works and currently reporting for me.
I have the Orange Sense Branded monitor

The Wiser integration never showed in the Web app only the Mobile, same with Philips Hue, Alexa, etc… I brought this up in the past and was told this was intentional due to the nature of how they integrate.

In the past (since the Beta) my wiser integrations have stopped reporting to Sense but still reported in the Wiser Home app. The solution to this is to power cycle the devices. Meaning turn the breakers off and back on that feed the Wiser switches. I have no idea what causes this issue, but this is the only solution. In the past I’ve had to do this every few days, but recenly they have been very stable and I have not had to breaker flip (power cycle) them in months.
I have had to do the same thing EVERY time I’ve disabled and reenabled the integration or reset my Sense. My last reset was July 15th, Sense ONLY rediscovered them was when I flipped the breakers off/on the switches are connected to.

There are only a few Wiser branded Schneider products that work with Sense. The ones that do MUST use the “Wiser Home” app SPECIFICALLY Version 1.3.4 as there are many, probably a dozen or more other Wiser apps including other “Wiser Home” apps that do not work with these switches/plugs, or may work but the Integration will not if they are not set up using the correct version.

I certainly wouldn’t promote it but please DO NOT remove the Wiser integration!!!

I think a lot of the confusion is because Schneider is releasing a new hardware version of these Wiser (X series) switches/plugs/outlets that support Matter, they work with the Schneider Home app.

The Wiser Energy Monitor has been rebranded as the Schneider Energy Monitor. It supports Matter, Zigbee, Wifi, Ethernet. It is compatible with the Square D Control relays, X series devices, Schneider Inverter (using POE), Schneider Boost, Load centers, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

My guess is that Sense has given up on the home energy monitor segment and is dedicating themselves to the utility segment with smart meters. This would explain why there have been virtually no updates or improvements to our monitors this decade and why progressive device detection has seemingly been abandoned and Sense has no interest in Matter.

With Schneider picking up the slack and continuing to focus on the construction industry, home builders, solar and industrial segments.

Sense sticking with AI/ML for detection, now that utilities have purchased 10’s of millions of meters, Sense has no real incentive to improve, or incorporate new integrations at the consumer level.
Schneider on the other hand focusing on integrated homes, breakers and device level metering as it’s a huge market that Schneider is tapping into in attempts to remain the worlds largest manufacture of electrical products.

1 Like

From what I know, utilities are only buying in with a commit to continuously improving load disaggregation. The contract with National Grid, or at least part of it, is public as part of the utility plan.

I believe the utilities are wanting commitments to improve major detections such as HVAC, EV, Water, laundry etc… as part of a grander goal that will eventually allow them to charge different (higher) demand rates based on usage.
All part of the electrification of everything scheme.
To protect the grid during peak demand utilities could charge insane rates if it’s determined your charging a EV, doing laundry etc… Some municipalities could even fine people.

The difference between the direction Sense and Schneider seem to be taking is that Sense is being built directly into the utility meter with no way to disable. Schneider seemingly gearing more to the smart home/building segment will be viewed as helping people which is necessary to prevent boycotts of their products. While Sense a relatively small company in comparison has virtually nothing to lose if it pisses off the consumer market and everything to gain from working with utilities and governmental organizations. A key thing to keep and eye on is where Sense will obtain future funding from primaraly pass throughs.

2 Likes