Can the power quality notification be real time vs 48 hrs later

Hi
I must admit one of the most valuable features of sense is the power quality. Just came through another Nor Eastah and I am only now seeing some significant voltage drops. Was wondering why can these be in real time so that we can prepare for them… ie power down sensitive devices, fire up the genny etc?

2 Likes

a more complete screen shot

I was asking the same thing in a different thread, also relating to the weekend weather.
As I said in that thread, my history with our electric grid is what made me go look at Sense and see the crazy voltage issues and turn things off. Not any kind of notification. And even when there are dips and spikes, as far as I know, Sense doesn’t push a notification. It just makes the data available for you to find if you happen to look.

2 Likes

I use Monnit systems (sensors + gateway/Internet bridge to mothership) in various locations where industrial strength sensors are required for building management: floods, fires, CO, high pump pressures, current/voltage and so on. Their system uses battery-powered sensors that last around 5-10 years depending upon the “ping” frequency. If you want constant updates your battery will deplete faster.

So how do urgent notifications work if the pings are only every hour? Obviously the sensor themselves have threshold values that initiate an outgoing signal to the mothership. With certain types of sensors, say water detection, the “I’m alive” pings can be infrequent so you can maximize battery life. If you want to chart voltage/current, for example, you can increase the ping frequency.

Edge intelligence is good to reduce stress on the network and Mother.

Anyway, this type of system makes me wonder about the Sense monitor capability vs mothership signal analysis. Voltage is clearly captured by the monitor but the question (@JustinAtSense) is is there sufficient local storage, “model space” (?) and processing capacity to reliable signal voltage anomalies without mothership analysis? This slots into the need (IMHO) for a log of outages as well.

1 Like

I’d also like to see this and somehow recording longer than a 14 day history. I think our transformer is over taxed and want to show the history to the electric company

1 Like

Not that it is as engaging as a graph, but you can download a CSV of the data for all the dips and spikes for the past 30 days. That might help with your utility instead of waiting for enhancements.

ps: It also looks like I can go back two weeks in the graphs, a day at a time.

1 Like

Thanks… Would ideally like to get at the raw data and save it off to a google sheets file or something. Wishlist.

I happened to have a quick look at my “Labs” and earlier today this was not there and now it is. It describes voltage dips from 2 days ago… bit late

1 Like

This one showed up 6 days later

2 Likes