Coffee Maker vs Air Fryer vs Dishwasher

So Sense has identified a Heat device, and upon a short investigation, I noticed it turns on and off with the Coffee Maker (Nespresso Vertuo Evoluo), so I assigned it to that. But, I then came to realize it also gets triggered by the Dishwasher (but only part of the cycle), and the Air Fryer. Looking at the consumption numbers, I realize that all 3 use around 1200W. How do you y’all deal with an issue like this?

Three thoughts

• Time ! I don’t know how long you have had your unit installed or how long this Heat detection has been active, but there’s a chance that Sense will eventually discriminate between the three via differences in the on-signature which incorporates many more features than just power level… But if they are all pure resistive heat at exactly the same power level, then you might be in the same camp as my twin garbage disposals - indistinguishable, even after a long time.

• Phase / leg - if you know which legs your various house circuits are connected to, you might be able to plug your Nespresso and Air Fryer into an outlet with the opposite phase as your Dishwasher. That would likely enable Sense to differentiate. Even if you don’t know which phase the different outlet are on, you can experiment using the metering built into the Sense monitor. Turn your dishwasher on and see which of the two mains (right or left) responds. Then look for a kitchen outlet that responds on the opposite main when you plug in and turn on the Air Fryer.

• Smartplugs - if it is possible (plugwise and power limit wise), consider plugging your Dishwasher into a Smartplug (or the other appliances). The Smartplug measures full usage (more that’s just the Diswasher heating element) plus discourages detection of devices connected to that Smartplug. It might be better to delete the original detected device first.

3 Likes

I’ve had these same mixups. What I do is pick the one it tracks with the most. Then, the others, I use the “this device is not on” button to weed them out. It’s a bit time consuming and you’ll have to setup notifications to catch them in the act but it does work.

3 Likes

Yet another great answer ! And the one that best helps Sense learn the differences !

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions! Where do you get “this device is not on” option?

Kevin, I’ve had my Sense since 2 months ago and the coffee maker had been detected over a month ago. All 3 devices are in the kitchen and likely on the same circuit, so I can’t really move them. I did think about smart plug and may have to go that route if I can’t find any other solution. I already have ten HS110 and a HS300 (may have went a little over board), and noted that they consume some power just by being on, so I’d like to not add any more smart plugs unless I have no other options.

1 Like

Let’s say your detection reports as the coffee maker 5 out of 10 times and your air fryer reports as the same detection 2 of 10.
Set a notification for the device/detection so your alerted when it turns on.
When it gives you an alert and it’s is the coffee maker, do nothing.
When you get an alert and it’s the air fryer, while it’s on, go to the app and open the device tab.
Then go to the Devi e/detection. (It has to be “on” at the time”. On the devices page click the settings/configuration in the upper right corner (looks like a gear).
Then scroll down to “reports a problem” and select “ this device is not on”
Here is my floor heater as an example

2 Likes

With HS110’s consuming a watt or two…yes they do draw power…pretty much everything does these days. With my local power cost ($0.18/KWH), that would amount to about 3/year each, or 0.05% of my electric bill/HS110. Have to admit, I can’t worry about that when my undetected devices consume hundreds/thousands of annually.

2 Likes

I know you were asking @kevin about smart plugs but I’d like to give you my opinion. You have a detection. You are having other devices show as this same detection. So eventually, all these will likely have their own detection. I would let that happen so you have Sense native detections. I consider these the highest quality as the monitor is operating a s designed. Smart plugs are great, but more for the things Sense is unable to detect.

2 Likes

Thanks Sam! I didn’t even know this “device is not on” option existed. Will give that a try for a while. If you do this, do you think that the air fryer and dishwasher will be detected as their own devices?

1 Like

Yes I do.
When my dryers smaller element was detected I would get a notification of it being on when it wasn’t. We were using one of the stove burners. After several uses of the device is not on button, the stove stopped reporting as the dryer. It did take some time, maybe a month and that burner became its own detection.
There are many discussions about how we can “train” Sense. While this isn’t quite the training that most would like to see, it’s is a type of training.

2 Likes

To add to the confusion, my toaster oven also uses around 1200W and makes Sense think it’s the same device. So when one of these 4 devices (coffee maker, dishwasher, air fryer, toaster oven) turn on, Sense thinks it’s the same device. So far I’ve been doing the “This device is not on” thing for a couple of weeks and Sense hasn’t figured out that they are different devices. I wonder if Sense will ever figure it out?

You have to use the “device is not on button” about 3 times for it to work.
Being as you have 4 devicesa and just 1 you want, that’s using it nine times.
Patience Grasshopper

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.