Missing "Other"

Anyone missing “Other” usage? Sense Support says it’s a known issue but have no idea when a fix will be available. If anyone else is missing “Other” please open an issue with Support so we can get this fixed.

I always have “Other” usage. Pool pumps runs 10 hours a day.

Is anyone else having issues with Other not being reported? I’ve been working with Sense Support on this for some time now and they say it’s a known issue. But they still haven’t fixed it… Maybe they can’t fix it? It’s getting ridiculous.

It’s my gas heater (variable speed air handler) that’s running.

@ken2, I’m not having issues with the “Other” device not being reported…is working fine for me.

I have a ticket in already also

Great… Maybe it might get fixed. I email support every 7-10 days asking for status. It’s been broke since August.

interesting!! so has mine since about the end of august

Yeah, around the end of August for me too.

Me too since August … I opened a ticket soon after mid September … My opinion is they should have fixed it by now unless they lost key talent and no longer have competency to solve the issue … Seems to this retired radar software analyst that if they have the moment to moment values, should be simple to calculate and save the cumulative value as they do for other devices.

Strange - my Other seems to be tracing just fine.

Is the issue that Other is zero (or even negative which appears as 0) for long periods, or that the Other activity you see in the bubbles (Other on for long periods of time) doesn’t get reflected in the device usage graphs ?

I have screen captures above. It’s zero usage in my case or flat out wrong.

It’s not wrong for everyone, just us lucky ones. Support knows there’s an issue, they just haven’t fixed it.

Here is the year.

Kevkranen,

Look at this yearly usage of Other, especially Sept Oct Nov which is at 0 usage …

image002.jpg

now I have 48,000 BTU variable speed Heat Pump HVAC that typically runs at 1.5 to 2.5 KW which the Sense real time Power Meter and Bubble displays accurately track from second to second, yet beginning about mid-August of 2019, Sense does not correctly report the daily, weekly, or monthly usage at all.

Also, Sense has yet to detect the HVAC or my electric clothes dryer after 11 months of operation, so I was in the habit of using Other to estimate my heating & cooling Expense, after roughly taking into account the clothes dryer operations. Also, Sense appears to be recording some of the Other usage in December, but it is too early to tell if it is an accurate reflection of the actual heating usage because my heat pump is currently running almost 24 hours per day now that outside temps are 40 degF and below; but Sense reports Other use for Dec 1 to Dec 20 as 131 kWh which is an average of less than 300 watts continuous average usage, which is just not correct at all.

SoccerSystems

Look at this yearly usage of Other, especially Sept Oct Nov which is at 0 usage …

supposed to be image here, but for some reason, it lets me upload the photo, then tells me I can’t add photos to my post!!!

now I have 48,000 BTU variable speed Heat Pump HVAC that typically runs at 1.5 to 2.5 KW which the Sense real time Power Meter and Bubble displays accurately track from second to second, yet beginning about mid-August of 2019, Sense does not correctly report the daily, weekly, or monthly usage at all.
Also, Sense has yet to detect the HVAC or my electric clothes dryer after 11 months of operation, so I was in the habit of using Other to estimate my heating & cooling Expense, after roughly taking into account the clothes dryer operations. Also, Sense appears to be recording some of the Other usage in December, but it is too early to tell if it is an accurate reflection of the actual heating usage because my heat pump is currently running almost 24 hours per day now that outside temps are 40 degF and below; but Sense reports Other use for Dec 1 to Dec 20 as 131 kWh which is an average of les than 300 watts continuous average usage, which is just not correct at all.

SoccerSystems

What is your bubble showing for Other when heat pump is running ? Does it disappear for long periods ? Just trying to figure out if the issue is in the instantaneous Other calculation (bubbles) or the aggregation of that data.

I believe it’s the aggregation of data and there’s a bug displaying that data. Support claims it’s still there, just not displayed. I have a variable speed pool pump that runs 10 hours a day. Only the first two hours are captured under Other and the rest disappears.

When I get back to my desktop I’ll capture some more screens.

1 Like

The math of aggregation is kind of tricky. Based on the way Sense displays data today, I suspect they aggregate everything into hourly data first, then secondly into the larger display periods (days, weeks, years, billing period). I not suggesting this is the cause, but if Sense is beginning to handle lost data more intelligently, using NAs for missing data rather than 0’s, then a single NA reading in an hour can get aggregated up into an NA for the entire hours. Again, not suggesting this is the cause, but pointing out that it’s often not as simple as a bug or not a bug, but rather how to best summarize detailed data for users.

1 Like

It’s probably more data corruption then anything else. Sense Support says it’s an issue. They just haven’t figured out how to fix it.

Days don’t add up to weeks, weeks don’t add up to months and months don’t add up to years.

Loosing faith in the device.

Kevin1,

I believe the bubble is always reporting a value whenever the HVAC is active, but recently I have suspicions that it may not be that accurate. It’s difficult to tell because the unit has variable speed 48,000 BTU compressor and variable speed air handler, plus a large backup/emergency heat resistive element. I tried to relate the value in the bubble to the compressor per cent that my Nexia thermostat/controller was reporting using SEER and HSPF, but I couldn’t get a reasonably close agreement between the Sense Other Bubble instantaneous values and my calculations, so I won’t show that.

Around 2 AM today, the backup came on and the air handler ran at 100%, and the Bubble was reporting over 15,000 watts for about 12 minutes! The Sense total instantaneous was close to 18,000 watts during the same time, which indicates to me that the Other Bubble is in some ballpark, even if not that accurate. More typically, the bubble shows that the unit is running somewhere between 600 watts up to maybe 2500 watts (including compressor plus air handler). The Bubble is reporting some instantaneous value whenever the heat pump is running; it only disappears when the heat pump shuts down, and returns when it comes on. The real issue I see is that Sense no longer aggregates Other with any degree of accuracy. In my case, the aggregate report for Other shows Zero from mid-August 2019 thru to the end of November 2019.

That is just wrong!

And the other day, HVAC ran continuously for over 24 hours, and the bubble was always on whenever I checked, but the aggregate usage for Other has hours where the use is reported to be zero.

That is wrong, too.

On a final note, I believe the overall total usage reported by Sense agrees closely with my electric bills since I installed it in mid-February 2019.

John G (soccersystems)

Other bubble always reports usage and it’s pretty accurate. But device totals are all zero. There’s been Other all night, so there should be totals.

Just want to add that my Other is also missing frequently. Between automatic detection and a ton of smart plugs, I’ve mapped a lot, but I know for a fact other things are running that are not showing up. Hope this helps with the troubleshooting:

(Please ignore the ridiculous heating usage, we’re in the process of installing a new HVAC system and are temporarily using space heaters)

Thanks for posting. If you haven’t done so already, please open a ticket with Sense support. Hopefully they get it resolved soon.

Mine has gotten worse lately. Seems my smart plugs are going to Other and not being reported.