Negative Watts on new house

Hello, I have brought a Sense monitor to another house but would like to keep all the data that’s on it from the previous house therefor I don’t want to hit any of the reset buttons. My mains are both showing negative values and the clamps are facing up toward where the power is coming from with clamp buttons on the left side of each one. Is there anyway I can get it to show positive values without losing data?
I wish I could export all data rather then year by year, device by device

Edit: The meter says -1w as well

1 Like

Support can remotely run a signal check and adjust them.

If I were you I’d export all your data and take screen caps of anything you deem important.
It’s likely you’ll end up wanting to do a reset as previous data could really mess with how the ML re-discovers/detects your new home.

We all wish Sense would allow a means of archiving data after a reset.

2 Likes

One other option, especially if you are not using solar. You can simply try flipping both CTs to reverse the flow direction while watching the Signal section mains. Somewhat harder if you have solar because there are many different flip and swap permutations.

2 Likes

Very weird, flipping them face down seems to have fixed it. I was under the impression that they were supposed to face up. Thank you

2 Likes

There really isn’t a wrong or right orientation, though Sense offers a default convention. But when you first setup your Sense, Signal Check watches the waveforms and configures the monitor to match the polarities and pairings it “observes”. For a simple, non-solar install, it has to match up the voltage measurements for each leg with the current measurements plus sort out the polarities of each current leg.

So when you place Sense in a new house, or a new panel, without resetting your goal is to match the configuration Sense stored for your previous setup, not the Sense conventions.

ps: One question I forgot to ask earlier - were you careful to match up wire colors (red, black) for both the voltage and current connections to the Sense when you transferred the Sense. If you didn’t match the previous pairings, you might have swapped voltage leg measurements vs. current leg measurements. That would also result in both mains showing as negative. The way you might see this if when you see a very large load turn on on one main leg, yet the voltage drops coincidentally on the other leg.

3 Likes

For better or worse I ended up resetting the data before I flipped them since the reset didn’t fix it. When it was taken from the old house the wires were kept in the breaker, I just pulled a breaker in the new one and put the Sense one in. I’m unsure of anything other than that.

1 Like

The reset, and accompanying rerun of Signal Check, is probably the better way to go, for the reason I described. I think Sense support can retrigger a Signal Check, without a reset, but we can’t. Sense support can also remotely reconfigure polarities and pairings manually, based on what they can see (more than what we can see). Solar installers that are Sense Pros also get a little better insight via the Pro version of the app

https://sense.com/pro/

2 Likes

Hi, @xswalden1, If you find your signals are not displaying what they should be, send me a private message and let me know you want me to look at them.

Thanks!

2 Likes