New Members/Old Members: Introduce yourself!

Hi everyone, Jeff here.
I’m in asset management in Atlanta (transit). We bought an older 'house" in western NC last November, and are working on it on our weekends.
The “house” started as a slaughterhouse back in the 1940s. Someone with more vision than I saw its potential as a house in the 90s. The meat locker was converted into a kid’s room, for example.
I installed the Sense last week, and am really enjoying its findings. Our 2006 36" wide fridge/freezer is more efficient than I could have ever hoped, that said, we are only opening it on weekends.
The only other things running are some Plume wifi pods, a DSL modem, and lighting. A space heater was employed last weekend during the cold snap.
I have Philips Hue lighting in the living room to replace the three ceiling lights wiith pull-chains. Another one is in the kitchen for a wall sconce similarly configured. The place is infested with ceiling fans with 4 or 5 candelabra bulbs dangling below. Very Victorian-esqe. I’m running around replacing those little 40W bulbs with LEDs.
It’s a concrete slab foundation, sloped for obvious reasons, 3,000 SF.
We have a couple of great BBQ places around here (love NC BBQ!), but also like to slow cook a pork butt or St Louis ribs on my Weber kettle if I have the time.
The current house project is to install dedicated gutters for the potable rainwater system I’m installing. We get plenty of rain.
The well water around here is a bit notorious.
I can retire in another 1.5 years, at which time we’ll get chickens and who knows what else.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, @jeff2! I slow-cooked a pork shoulder last weekend, still enjoying the leftovers :slight_smile:.

I have to say, I’ve read a lot of comments about unique homes on these forums. This one takes the cake.

Oh my, I have to agree with @JustinAtSense’s comment here: “unique” doesn’t do your place justice.

By the time I got there I had a double take because I assume you actually meant ‘36 foot wide fridge/freezer’ and I thought Sense is going to have fun with that! :wink:

Props for “infested with ceiling fans”: that conjures images from a fever-dream version of Gormenghast for me.

I will certainly post pics when I can.
Until then, there are lots of photos on my blog.CubeDweller

1 Like

@ixu Gormenghast would be long-term goal for this. Think Laura Ashley ca 1984 meets an abattoir currently.

1 Like

Let’s see if I can get the hang of this.
New Sense user, installed it early last week and still getting the hang of it, it has found a few things. Though did learn from the comparison that our home is 77% more efficient than other homes in the state and 70% more than othersense homes.
Needless to say I installed Sense not so much to save money, but rather to try and balance the power panel. Our utility provider has outages and that means a generator. While 6500 running watts will more than handle it, if the main panel isn’t balanced, it doesn’t matter.
A long time ago I converted to a smart home, remember Iris from Lowes? Well now it’s Hubitat Elevated and all the lights are LED, and sensor controlled, coupled with Alexa for voice integration and Broadlink for anything with a remote. So energy wise, we are covered, it’s backup power that I need to work on. The smart plug are all energy use detecting. Very few wifi devices, lots of zigbee and z-wave.
So for now, it’s just a matter of seeing how much and when Sense can sense the devices so I can better balance the box. Mostly curious too as to if sense can tell the difference between a deep freezer and a refrigerator. And will it know what a ductless heat pump / airconditoner and dehumidifier unit is? Did notice there isn’t a category for lawn and garden equipment. So we will see how it does detecting things like chain saws, chippers, and trimmers…
May take some time, but it’ll be interesting.
Unlike Iris, maybe Sense will last longer…

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re going to have fun here. Here’s a sneaky Sense trick for monitoring your power balance. There are reasons to believe that Sense may incorporate “funky balance” notifications in the future. Poke around and you’ll find some good advice on balancing methods and how Sense can reveal issues.

2 Likes

hi there! My name is Joe. I am a gas utility technician. I installed Sense last weekend and I’ve been very impressed by the UI and obsessed with energy monitoring as we have recently installed solar with net metering. I figured what better way to track what’s coming in and out. The part I really like is the device tracking. So far sense has picked up 6 appliances on its own. I ordered a bunch of plugs and have been adding them into Sense.

I have 3 Ring cameras, 2 Ring doorbells, every switch has been replaced in my house to Jasco dimmer/paddles. A Ring alarm system. 2 August by Yale door locks, 1 Echo Show, bunch of these HS110s and a FLO by Moen to monitor/protect the house from water related issues, and a smart LG washer and dryer.

I look forward to browsing the forums and learning more about this incredible device

3 Likes

New to Sense, having some trouble trying to locate devices being found by Sense though!

Welcome ! If Sense is detecting them, but you can’t figure out what the detected devices are, here’s a good starting point on how to trace:

Thanks, why can’t I start a post yet? Is there a post # requirement?

First few posts are moderated. Go ahead and try to start your new topic.

Hi, I’m Jim from CT, with the highest electric rates in the contiguous USA. Hope to get some answers here.

Hey Jim! Welcome to the Sense community. I’m over in Massachusetts, just outside of Boston.
Looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

Thanks Justin.

Hello, my name is Jorge Encarnación from the Dominican Republic, we have the same electrical system that the United States works with the same standard. I hope to learn a lot here with all of you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Ryan, looking forward to following you and sense!

@joesantanapersonal Welcome to the Sense community! @RyanAtSense has actually moved on to our Product team, so I’ll be your contact here in the community moving forward. Don’t hesitate to reach out :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Hello All…

I’m Alan. I’m originally from the UK, but an expat who usually resides in Shanghai China. Due to the very unusual circumstances we are faced with I’m living at my home in the Philippines. We built this compact 3 bedroom house just as a place to stop when visiting my wife’s family from time to time. I’ve been here since Jan 24, 5 months and luckily have been able to work from home. I work as a Business Consultant for a leading engineering software company that specializes in providing a collaborative platform for engineers. I focus particularly on transport and mobility industries. Hobbies include playing keyboards (have a couple of Korg Kronos in storage in shanghai, Korg Kross in the Philippines to keep my hand in) geeking around with tech, flying my drone Mavic Pro, traveling and exploring different cultures.

Just installed my sense at our place in the Philippines. Didn’t pay enough attention to realize these devices are intended for the US so had a few teething problems hooking up to a single phase 220v 60Hz supply. All seems good now. Have a backup generator 5Kw which is the main reason why I wanted the sense to know how much power we typically use throughout the day to know what the generator could handle when we have black outs. Haven’t tested yet but hoping the sense can also monitor the power drawn when using the generator to avoid tripping the breaker when the powers off.

Hello, my name is Matt and I live in the Southern New England area. I just installed my first Sense monitor yesterday (July 1st, 2020). By day I work as an Electrical Design Engineer for a sensor company. While we have a vast portfolio of products and customers, we mainly serve sensors (mostly pressure sensors but others as well) for the automotive and HVOR markets. Our internal joke is that we’re the “biggest company no ones ever heard of”, as most people utilize our products daily in all aspects of their life without knowing it.

I became interested in having a Sense device when I saw my electricity bill for an apartment I recently moved into jump from around $60 to over $200 between the months of May vs June. Besides the obvious contribution of having started using the air conditioning in June, I realized that I was blind to where electricity was being used within my home.

I’m fairly new to “Smart Home” devices, but I did install an ecobee5 Smart Thermostat w/ 4x ecobee SmartSensors a few weeks back. I also have a ‘smart’ alarm system (IMO it’s not overly “smart” but it can be controlled remotely via web / iOS app, has geo-fencing, etc.). Hoping to get into some smart plugs and bulbs soon, and maybe even a smart lock.

If the Sense team feels that my technical background could offer value as an alpha/beta tester, please feel free to contact me. I have an eagerness to contribute and help improve this energy monitoring technology. I look forward to learning from this community.

2 Likes