New Members/Old Members: Introduce yourself!

Wow. That setup! :drooling_face:

And that log is fantastic to see. Stories like that make all of us happy here at Sense.

1 Like

Hello All,
Name is Louie, Ham Radio call sign KA2PFL. Retired Electronics Technician. Been working in the Electronics field my whole life, everything from owning a TV service shop in the 80’s to maintaining a statewide 800 MHz trunking radio and microwave system.

Hobbies include Electronics (of course) Ham Radio, Sailing, Motorcycle and Bicycle riding, Off Road riding in our restored M151A2 Military Jeep.

Installed Sense Solar 2 days ago. Solar system is a leased 5 kw 25 panel enphase inverter system. Purchased Sense mainly to keep tabs on usage versus net meter surplus. We can heat our home with gas hot water baseboard or minisplit heat pumps. Usually our net surplus allows us to heat our home until December with heat pumps.

This year, went overboard with heating the garage (projects) and had my first electric bill in 7 years. Hopefully Sense will make me more aware of my net surplus and keep me from going over my net credit.

4 Likes

Great to have you @Louie

KJ4MSA

1 Like

I’m Mike and I am trying to become more energy efficient. I purchased my sense just over a week ago and installed it myself this past Friday in the panel but didn’t like it in there and then reinstalled it Saturday outside the panel. I am a Chief Electronics Technician in the United States Coast Guard with almost 19 years experience and a background in radar technology/ instructor, communications technology/instructor, 2M repair technician/instructor and an MTR technician/instructor. I have a ring doorbell, Arlo smart cameras, OWL security cameras, Amazon echo plus, Philips Hue light bulbs, Ecobee3 smart thermostat with three remote sensors, MyQ garage door controller, I drive a 2014 BMW i3 REX and every single light in my house has been replaced with LED lights. I know I am missing something but i think thats a good enough start. What’s your favorite type of barbecue? ummmmmm that would have to be vinegar based Carolina barbecue of course.

Do you post on Reddit? Nope
Have a Twitter handle? Nope and my only social media is Facebook

3 Likes

Welcome @Louie and @mike_gessner!

Hi All,

I’m a casual Sense user looking to gain more insight into my power consumption and costs. I’ve had my Sense monitor learning for over a year now.

JB

4 Likes

I just got my Sense late last week and installed it on Saturday (only a few bumps in the road to get it running!). I got a bunch of wirelesstag sensors almost a year and a half ago, so I could take a data driven approach to moisture issues in our crawl space. I do work around the public sector, but I’m an EE by education. Bullocks BBQ.

3 Likes

I think you will really enjoy the information available here.
Welcome!
And here is a post with the users names you will really want to get to know.
They will help you tremendously and all of them are very helpful to those of us that are new. I’m a month in.

1 Like

Thanks, Dan!

About this Forum
This is your Sense community. We created this as a place to connect with each other, share stories, ask questions, compare your Always on, and post screenshots of that unnamed device that runs for 6 seconds repeatedly in the middle of the night. The Community however, is not a substitute for the Support process.

Please if you think you’re experiencing a bug or are having specific problems with your installation, submit a Support ticket. If you’d like to post here in addition to try and foster discussion, that is ok too, but Support should be the frontlines for diagnosing issues. They know the product inside and out and have access to Sense-specific diagnostic tools and can access your data and monitor logs directly (with permission, of course). And with the Customer Service Portal , you can easily get insight into where your Support tickets stand.

Before you post:

• Introduce yourself! — New Members/Old Members: Introduce yourself!
  • Check the Knowledge Base. We have a deep library of documentation where your question may have already been answered.
  • Check the Pinned topics. Most subforums have Pinned topics that might answer your question.
  • Use the search! Check if your question has been answered before. Check for a relevant topic you can post in before starting a new topic. Topics will be merged with previous topics at moderator discretion.
  • Check the category. Categories keep us all organized. Topics will be moved if they’re not in the correct category.
  • If you have a bug or technical issue to report, please contact our technical support team at support@sense.com. While the Sense Community can provide technical help, it is not a true substitute for our knowledgeable Support staff.

Guidelines for the best community experience:

• Be respectful. Treat everyone with respect. Be kind. No name calling or otherwise inappropriate behavior. Criticize, but criticize constructively We’ll moderate the bad stuff when we see it. If you see something you think we should moderate, be sure to Flag it. Moderators reserve the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time.
  • Stay relevant. Make sure your replies are productive and contribute to the conversation.
  • Be descriptive. Include any relevant information in your question so you can get the most out of the community. Screenshots are encouraged!
  • Be safe. A licensed and trusted electrician should be consulted as the final word for any installation advice and troubleshooting.
  • Be honest. Give credit where credit is due.
  • Don’t spam. There’s no need to cross-post the same content across multiple threads.
  • Maintain privacy. Do not share private information about other members on this forum. Do not share private information from your Support tickets, including names and contact information of Support agents, or of other Sense employees.
  • Share your solutions Occasionally you may post a problem and find your own solution before anyone else. In those cases, it is nice if you also post a followup that shares your solution. Odds are others will experience similar issues and will be grateful to find your solution.

How we use this information
We actively monitor this forum so that we can improve Sense. This includes new features, and improvements in hardware, installation, software, and device detection. We may investigate particular homes to better understand or resolve an issue that affects the Sense community. Users must log in using their Sense account details, so that their data can be cross-referenced with their home to troubleshoot possible technical issues.

Please note that this is not a customer support channel and for specific technical issues you should contact our customer support team at support@sense.com.

If your submission includes any product suggestion or new idea for implementation in a feature by Sense, you are agreeing that: (1) your submission and its contents will automatically become the licensed to and the property of Sense, without any compensation to you; (2) Sense may use, copy, modify, publish, or redistribute the submission and its contents for any purpose and in any way, including implementation in products or services; (3) there is no obligation for Sense to review the submission; and (4) there is no obligation for Sense or any of its employees to keep the submission confidential. If you do not want to grant to Sense the rights set out above, do not send your Submission to the Forum Site.

Regarding Wiser Energy Monitors from Schneider Electric, please note that this forum is specific to the Sense software and hardware only. For any inquiries related to the Wiser Energy Monitor, please contact wisersupport@sense.com.

2 Likes

Hi. I’m new to Sense. Mostly I installed this so I could monitor my Solar production, but I’m loving being able to monitor all of the devices that draw electric in my home!

3 Likes

Hello everyone! I’ve been a sense user/owner for a while now. I’ve loved it more and more as it continues to develop and new features are added! Last year I got an 11.4kw Solar system and I’ve been using sense even more!
I decided to come on over here to chat with Kevin1! Read a bit of the interview and found his R script for TOU. I just wanted to barebones attempt to run it but am having issues. I assume my account is probably waiting further verification before I can reply in the Data Analysis forums?

*Edit
Thought I’d share my January Report for the funs too.

2 Likes

Hi everyone. Just installed my Sense this past weekend, and already loving it. Purchased after I had a problem with my Heatpump this winter. It went out in November, and there was no indication it went out as my 25kw auxiliary heat took over and the house stayed warm. I got a bill that was triple the previous month’s bill, and it took me another month to find the problem (and another triple amount bill). I asked the repair guy how I could know if this happened again, and he thought about it a few minutes and commented: I guess your electric bill would go up again… My heat pump has no external indications of if it’s working correctly. This put me on my journey to find a way to monitor my electric usage, and my research brought me to the Sense device. I can now instantly see when the auxiliary heat is on (although it hasn’t been identified yet - its the only 25kw device in the house and it spikes my usage). I look forward to using Sense to save electricity and monitor the health of my other critical electrical devices - well, sump pump, water heaters, etc. in my all electric house.

2 Likes

Hello @scj2023

Sorry to hear about your heat dilemma, I had the same thing happen last year.
While your waiting for the auxiliary/heat strips to be detected, see this pot from out moderator
About setting up an alert.
It won’t be an exact detection but with the size of your strips it would work.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m trying this now.

Hello! I’m new to the forum, new to Sense, but a lifelong energy hobbyist. I just put one sense in my farm house where I live last week and today added one to the foreclosure lake house I bought across the street.

Unfortunately I had not read the forum to see that I can’t have to monitors on the same account so it appears that the second monitor has superseded the first and when I went to put the first back on it says it has been locked to the account. I’m wondering the best way to go about fixing this so that I don’t lose the data from the first monitor. I don’t care if I lose the data from the second as its only been on a couple hours. I do want to save the data already collected from the farm house though. I submitted a tech support request via the sense website but not sure if I will get a response any time soon. Previous questions through there have taken several days to answer.

Any suggestions that will guarantee I don’t lose the data from the first monitor I installed? Thanx in advance and I look forward to participating in the forum!

1 Like

Contact support to work out account issues. Don’t be so worried about losing a weeks worth of data. Not a big thing in the scheme of things recognitionwise.

I have contacted them, as I said. I was just also hoping that fellow users would be quicker with a solution. Thanx for your quick response though!

Umm…I am so excited to post my very first monthly summary, for January 2019!!!
Sense-Jan%202019

3 Likes