RESOLVED: 1/10 Second Power Outage = Sense Offline

Background:
If we have a residential power outage, the SENSE monitor quickly restarts before the internet and WiFi connection has been re-established. The SENSE software is not robust enough to reconnect later if WiFi (or internet) is not present (or available) during the reboot phase. When we have a neighborhood power outage, it affects our ISP neighborhood hubs along with our home network. It takes time for the internet and WiFi connections to be re-established at all the different locations. I know there is a lot of competing traffic on the internet just after power is restored. All of my home network devices are working to reconnect to remote servers (plus the neighbor’s).

My Solution:
I installed an “On-delay Timer relay” that powers the SENSE unit. If power is lost, then the timer waits for 8-minutes (or some adjustable time) before restoring the power to the SENSE monitor. During this wait period, the internet has time to re-connect and re-establish the communications link before SENSE powers up. I lose about 10-minutes of data (8-minutes for the delay, 2-minutes for SENSE to reboot and reconnect), but not hours or days of data.

The Device:
My brother built this device using parts that were laying around in his garage. There are more elegant solutions. Basically it’s a SPST (Single-Pole, Single-Throw) 0-8 minute ‘Delay-timer’ connected to a DPDT relay. You can purchase a DPDT (Double-Pole, Double-Throw) ON-Delay timer relay that tests both legs for voltage that has more options for the timer and all the features are built into the relay for around $60.

Results:
Now after I have a power outage, I do not have to go manually reset the breaker that SENSE is attached to in order to establish internet communications. Yes, I lose 10-minutes of data, but that is better than losing hours, days or weeks of data if I am not home to manually restart the SENSE monitor. I started with the maximum delay setting and will test for shorter time delays. I have attached some photos.

Parts and Wiring:

Installation:

2 Likes