Solar producing overnight?

Definitely reach out to support@sense.com for this.

Restart sense. The problem goes away.

1 Like

yes, that’s what Sense recommended and it fixed the problem, but the data for a few days was wrong. I hope it doesn’t happen again. Sense said it was a rare event.

1 Like

Same here in SoCa. Sense shows that we are producing 4w of Moon Solar all night from a 5kw system facing almost perfect N.

1 Like

Just so this topic will not close for non-activity. My 5 KW solar shows 6w of “production” right now, 11:22 PM in California.

My solar shows -6W at night… Is that normal have a negative number at night?

First, welcome to the Community!

Inverters will consume a bit of power, so Sense is likely picking up on that.

1 Like

Strange, I have micro inverters and not having these issues.

@dmdickel - are you saying your solar shows exactly 0W at night?

Actually it shows that I’m using (not producing) .01 kWh every hour at night.

I, too, have microinverters (Enphase IQ7+) yet show 6w of production at night.

My solar uses microinverters and shows overnight generation. This is likely due to “dark current” in the solar devices due to thermal effects and other ways that electrons move about, or other artifacts in the electronics. I assume that in order to generate this “dark current” the power has to come from the grid, so you are paying for it coming into the house, and then being credited as solar energy generated, so it should be a wash. So, you are not “sneakily” making free energy when there is no sunlight!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.