Unusual activity alert

It would be a nice failure/problem-notification option if sense could send a notification when a known device behaved differently. … for example, yesterday the goats knocked their automatic waterer and so, while it was still only a trickle, the pump cycled about every 40 minutes instead of only once in the morning. I know I could set it to alert me if it ran for more than five minutes at a time (in the case of a broken line or a hose left on), but in this case, i had to be checking the device history to see the issue.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! We do plan to add more notification functionality in the future and being able to identify unusual device activity would certainly be useful.

1 Like

Hey there @Becky - just looking in on some old threads and I’d mention a suggestion we’ve heard for monitoring these types of issues.

Have you tried setting a custom notification for the well pump that lets you know if it’s on for >40 minutes? Would that work for you?

As @BenAtSense mentioned, we are hoping to put together a purpose specific workflow for this down the road, but I’m hoping the above solution might help you in the mean time.

Hi. Sense hasn’t identified the well pump yet. …oddly - but i know you
all take a lot of grief for that. I can tell when it’s running from the
spike in other, but i can’t set any notifications for it. i do have my
septic pump set to tell me if it’s been on for a couple minutes - normally
runs about 6 seconds and I’ve had it burn up in the past so this should
work for that.

Becky Burkheart
Short and Twisted Christmas Tales https://tinyurl.com/SnTC2017:
~ If you love Halloween but are so-so about Christmas - these stories are
for you. Scary, funny, sweet or sad - they’re all TWISTED ~

Aha! Sorry about that. I hope we’ll be able to pick that pump up soon for you, and once we do, perhaps a custom notification will help you until we get some more advanced notification functionality together.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

1 Like

With respects to unusual activity, perhaps create this based on a rolling average over X days. For example, for a sump pump, it would be beneficial to know if it suddenly is running more often than it was previously. Even more important, would be if the pump was running every 5 minutes, suddenly doesn’t run within 20 minutes (or whatever).

3 Likes

This would have saved me thousands back when my heating element went out in my water heater. This is a great suggestion.