Use your monthly reports!

The belt tightening continues…
Sometime during the first week of the month I realized my TOU plan went into summer pricing. I did not want to pay the off-peak or peak pricing. I have not turned on my TV for a month because the only hours I want to use electricity is from 12 am to 6 am. So I have to try to fit everything into that window.

Earlier this week I read a news story noting that SDG&E reduced rates by 5% on a TOU plan, but not mine! I ran some numbers and yesterday I switched to this:

As I was running the numbers I realized I never even get out of the lowest pricing, as I’m always significantly below the baseline. So for all time periods I paid .22374¢/kWh plus received a baseline credit. With my new plan I anticipate paying .19???¢/kWh until September.

So for the month, I got my total usage back down. Call me cheap, I call myself a cost cutter!!!

3 Likes

Those are pretty amazing numbers. Your average wattage and total usage are like 1/10 of mine. Amazing. I am imagining you writing your posts by candle light though :wink: but seriously how did you get your usage so low? Is that because solar doesn’t count towards your usage?

I guess I can sum up my strategy in three words: “By doing without!”

I don’t have solar (but would get it in a second if I could). I don’t have A/C, but I’m pre-wired. I don’t ever have computers running all day. I have smart fans, but turn the switch off Same with my network TV tuner and Google Homes. I have them on smart receptacles, and turn them off when not in use. My network always stays on, so I can use a tablet or phone at any time.

It really makes it easy as the only one in my residence. It also helps that I like it dark and cold. I have never turned on my heater. At night I open the windows, then close them and the blinds in the morning. My place is insulated pretty well and maintains temperature.

To help you understand a bit more, I’m on a 7-step program by Dave Ramsey. I’m currently paying down my 20 yr. mortgage in 10. I need all $$ I can get to do this, so I have to watch expenses and cost cut.

2 Likes

Wow! That takes discipline but I definitely see the potential for huge benefits down the road. Kudos!

Impressive ascetics.

Looking at those Steps I guess you are doing them somewhat concurrently.

I would bifurcate Step 4 and reconfigure Step 3 to incorporate investment in the cost and emergency benefits of having Solar.

There’s a certain wattage anxiety I can see being ameliorated by getting them for “free”.

1 Like

Upper 90’s here in Florida and rain, so solar wasn’t the best.

1 Like

Installed time: 1 month
Device detected: 9

2 Likes

Home: Standard single-family 3k sqft of finished living space.

1. (Link) - 2018 Historical Reports
  2. (Link) - 2019 Historical Reports
  3. (Link) - Historical Actual Reductions
  4. (Link) - 2020 January
  5. (Link) - 2020 February
  6. (Link) - 2020 March
  7. (Link) - 2020 April
  8. (Link) - 2020 May

Goals :

• Always On - <90 watts
  • Average Daily Usage - <15 kWh

Note:
Top (3) energy consumers, comprises 85.1% of total monthly usage:

1. 38.0% - Other (undetected devices)
  2. 26.7% - Air Conditioning
  3. 20.4% - Always On
3 Likes

Home: Standard single-family 3k sqft of finished living space.

1. (Link) - 2018 Historical Reports
  2. (Link) - 2019 Historical Reports
  3. (Link) - Historical Actual Reductions
  4. (Link) - 2020 January
  5. (Link) - 2020 February
  6. (Link) - 2020 March
  7. (Link) - 2020 April
  8. (Link) - 2020 May
  9. (Link) - 2020 June

Goals :

• Always On - <90 watts
  • Average Daily Usage - <15 kWh

Note :
Top (3) energy consumers, comprises 90.7% of total monthly usage:

1. 54.7% - Air Conditioning
  2. 21.8% - Other (undetected devices)
  3. 14.2% - Always On

Ceiling Fan usage, significantly increases the “Always On” value. Impact will be present in June thru August reporting periods.

1 Like

I used a bit more electricity this month, but equivalent to May. My total bill was less than last month’s though as I used less gas. This bill did not reflect the change in TOU pricing I made at the start of the month. I found they don’t change it instantly. It took effect on the new billing cycle starting 7/24.

2 Likes

Not the greatest month for efficiency here…
Our 2 bedroom AC’s have been running more at night throughout the Heat Wave, and we’ve added several fans to the mix in the last couple of weeks (which should lower our usage as we continue to revert to fans > AC’s when we’re able to). Definitely looking to improve our usage this month, feeling a little bit like we slacked off this month :sweat_smile:.

Month-to-month usage +41%

No where as good as others have posted this month.

It’s been hot in Florida.

July report.

This month’s report is slightly understated. I had a couple of days where my monitor went offline. It didn’t want to connect to my regular less congested channel, but was happy on a VERY congested one. I finally convinced it to be happy where it was at.

From my bill I used 147 kWh. I have not changed my already sparse usage. I’ve noticed a trend which I will post in a new topic…

Bringing this back! I believe I’ve found a balance in my energy consumption. I’m trying to get to a predictable and consistent bill to manage my expenses. I’ve been using Sense since 11/1/19. Here is all of the data from my monthly reports from the start. You can definitely see when I went on vacation, when it was hotter and the refrigerator was running more, and also when Sense had some data problems.

Year

In case anyone is wondering what it looks like to have 2 heat pumps when the weather stays below freezing for over a week:

2 Likes

This is what it looks like when I go on vacation for two weeks. During that period, only the refrigerator was turning off and on.

2 Likes

We’re fairly predictable in my home. @brbeaird you’re making me feel better about my Always On increase MoM.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.