[Bug] - Network problems

I certainly hope so…

If I were executive management or an investor in Sense, I would be concerned with the perception this production issue is having on both new and existing users. Most users won’t bother to join a product or company’s community forum, so they won’t have visibility to what’s going on, and why the product is behaving the way it is.

And if a new user just happens to install and setup their brand new device during this time, and they are still in their return window, I bet the experience will drive a lot of returns. And these customers will likely never come back. The amount of effort to do the installation and the price-point of the Sense device are just too great for most people.

Personally, I am a fan of the product, and I am a patient customer (having been the head of customer support at several consumer electronics start-ups).

But that same history also makes me sensitive and understanding to the impatience of the general population… This service is considered an essential service that has the expectation of 24x7x365 availability and reliability to the people who paid $400.00 or more for the product (when you consider sales tax and the fact that some people hired an electrician to install the device)… That’s not a small investment for many people…

But I continue to be a fan and an advocate, and I am hoping the best for Sense… I think it is a fantastic device with a ton of potential… I just can’t wait for this to be fixed… I’ve only had it for a two weeks, and half that time has been during this production issue…

1 Like

rd.simar,
I was thinking the new standby feature & the new dedicated circuit feature may have something to do with this.

1 Like

A lot of network problems as others have reported. I also have experienced a lot of inaccurate “bubbles”. Since my solar installation and reset by disconnecting the sense module, the learned consumer accuracy is quite poor in comparison to what is was prior to the reset. Might this be unresolvable outside of a complete reset and erasure of what has been learned so far? Anyone else had similar experiences?

Hi I was just wondering I have noticed for a few days that device bubbles show up on the Now page, but the list below it is not updating or correct. Is this part of the same ongoing bug? Thanks

Not expecting they reveal any proprietary secrets BUT we deserve an explanation as to what happened (bad switch, loose cable, etc.)

Same issue here. data not updating.

The Sense status page is showing good data speeds and looks like things have smoothed out but I’m still having issues with my Sense monitor so I am currently in the middle of doing a “Reset Data” on mine. I’ll report back if I see any improvement.

Hi @mike_gessner. Are you sure you want to do a data reset??? That seems rather extreme…especially since you are not even sure it will solve anything…

According to your profile, you’ve been a member since Feb 2019… That’s a lot of data to throw away in the hopes that it solves this problem…especially since the Sense team have not declared victory yet…

Completely up to you (of course), but if I were you, I would retain my data (and device’s detected) and wait for word from the production support troubleshooting team…

1 Like

I’m not seeing network issue anymore and my trends seem to have filled back in. But I am still seeing some weirdities. I see dropouts in my web app power meter that disappear when I zoom in.

If I zoom way in on a time point where a break occurred when I was looking at a larger interval, I see something that looks like a change of resolution between the waveform on the left and on the right (lower resolution on the left). I’m guessing Sense has been doing some things on the back end and data management to reduce the amount of display data and hot data they have to serve up. I can understand why they would want to do that - half second data. I’m guessing a year of user display data with 1/2 second samples is about 1GB once you deal with all the underlying data management.

1 Like

I was already in the process of a data reset when I posted my last post. So after the reset the data looked good for a second and then there was a data gap in the reporting and now everything is all over the place. My mains are reading all over the place and its now only seeing one leg of solar but that one leg is reporting the inverse of one of the mains legs. the voltage on both lines and frequency are reading good and that seems to be about the only thing reading correctly. When something isn’t working I have to mess around with it until I either fix it or break it completely.

@kevin1 - Not sure how you lucked out… I am still having data gap problems… Here is my latest screenshot of my Power Meter from the web app:

All of those gaps are showing “0 W”… I am trying to turn unnecessary stuff off to save energy, but I am simply not that good! LOL… None of my solar production for today is registering at all (at least not graphically)…

Maybe this is a case of “your mileage may vary”? I just took this screenshot like 2 minutes prior to this post…

@mike_gessner - I agree… I am the same “high touch” user who wants to work on things until they get fixed… But unfortunately, this is a situation where the problem (and thus the fix) is not on your end (or my end)… It’s a central problem that the central team need to fix… So all the fixing on your end is probably not going to end in a success until they determine what’s going on centrally…

1 Like

Maybe the fixes are rippling through the data pipeline… The good news is that you probably haven’t lost any data. You might want to try zooming out to month, then back in… Good luck.

Okay so after playing around with it and doing a data reset here is what I have learned. readings from the CT clamps are currently all over the place and are inaccurate. I went back into integrations and enabled my Wemo plugs first since I only have two of those and they showed up immediately and are showing correctly under my devices menu so next I went in and enable TP-Link in integrations and all my TP-Link plugs showed up in less that a minute with all the correct readings so next I went to my Philips hue and tried to reenable that but didn’t have any luck getting Philips hue integration back on my Sense app. If you don’t play around with things you wont learn anything new.

Point taken and received! I agree that you can definitely learn a lot by playing around… Looks like you have some nice discoveries there… I don’t have anything to play with…just the CT clamps and the wires going to my breaker… And I don’t really feel like opening up the electrical panel today… But perhaps at some point I will get the motivation to do so… :slight_smile:

In the meantime, there is absolutely something going on centrally… Their support page still reports that they are trying to nail down root cause… I am optimistic that once they find out the problem and apply a fix, that my data will return to normal (and hopefully fill in the historic data gaps)…

Update: This bug has been resolved as of last evening and the status page has been updated to reflect this. I’m going to provide a short summary of the cause of the issue shortly.

If you are still experiencing issues with missing data or timeline events, please reach out to support@sense.com so we can take a deeper look.

Summary: This bug was related to a data processing component of our servers failing, which was compounded by the backlogged data on monitors all trying to send data to the servers at once. This caused increases to the API Response Time resulting in server timeouts and issues with data and the device timeline. We’ve isolated the issue and deployed a fix.

1 Like

There is still degraded network/sense performance today even after getting an email that it has been fixed.

The issue is erratic/Sporadic at best, issue happening intermittently affecting random functions but mostly NOW tab (front page) and Sense Labs.

The NOW tab taking up to 30secs to fill with data and after waiting a minute the Floating Neutral (sense lab) feature loaded with zero data (all zeros).

Hey @rd.simar. On the back-end of things, we’re seeing this issue largely resolved. If you haven’t already, please write into support@sense.com so we can take a deeper look and gauge impact.

I have emailed back to support, the issue may not be entirely noticeable as it is happening intermittently/Sporadically on different functions.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Smart plug issues