TP-Link issues

Thanks @kevin1 and @ixu!!! This is exactly what I was looking for.

1.5w is a lot better than the big loads our tvs, cable boxes and some charging bricks consume when we aren’t even home to use them.

My plan is to make an whole house off button for our front door that shuts down everything unnecessary when we’re not home!

2 Likes

Did support state how many plugs the system can handle? Is there a max number?

The Sense smart plug FAQ clearly says:

“Typical Sense users can use at least 20 smart plugs without issue.”

But users can vary from “Typical” (assume solar, other integrations and higher than normal activity levels can create extra CPU loads). And does an HS300 smartplug count as one smartplug or 6 ? I think Sense will be working to give even more specific guidance.

3 Likes

HS300 is pretty much 6x HS110s, since we have to access them individually. It’s really no different than multiple individual HS110s.

4 Likes

Thanks for the guidance !

Added a second TP-Link HS300 alongside my existing one, and the problem described in this thread came up: devices were on, and showing as such in the Kasa app, but Sense wasn’t seeing it. The fix by @mike_gessner worked like a charm in getting them all to show again. I was able to then turn Network Listening back on, and everything stays as it should.

2 Likes

Adding another observation on how the TP-Link and Network Listening (NDI) interact. I had to restart my router and modem yesterday. When they came back on all of the devices plugged into my TP-Link outlets “froze” at whatever the current power reading was (in the case of my Mac Mini below is was at 11W). I noticed it this morning, turned Network Listening off again, and the power reading went back to a “live” fluctuating record. At this point I will be leaving NDI turned off.

1 Like

@pete2 Do you mind if I pass this onto the Support and Engineering teams to take a look at? We want to dig deeper into why this is happening.

Please do. And let me know if they need access to my device data from Kasa.

1 Like

Thanks @pete2.

If anyone else experiences an issue like this, I’d love if you’d reach out directly to me before trying to reset NDI. We can better track what may be happening that way.

1 Like

UPDATE: Yesterday i moved one of my HS300’s because things were being plugged and unplugged into it and it was messing up my monitoring so i moved it to my network cabinet and updated it. when i did this i turned off TP-Link under connected devices because it wasn’t updating the names that it received from the kasa app. Also during this my sense started having issues and also dropped my solar and wasn’t detecting that either. i tried to reset and change things for several hours yesterday with no success and gave up after the sun went down and i was no longer able to try and reconnect my solar. This morning i tried to connect the solar several times without success and my frustration levels were getting high. after about two hours of trying to get Sense to work again i finally tried to reconnect it to the network but got an error connecting so i tried fixing that several times with no success at which point i added the antenna extension to my Sense even though its mounted on the wall in my garage and NOT inside the power panel. Once i added the antenna extension to my Sense I got two bars in the Sense app and everything started connecting like it is supposed to and I even turned on Network Listening and it seems to be working fine now. I think with the amount of data and range I think it would be beneficial to add 5 Ghz capability to the Sense device.

1 Like

5Ghz adds bandwidth but generally reduces ranges. There are a dozen or more non-overlapping channels on 5 Ghz. There are only 3 on 2.4Ghz. I would like 5Ghz as I have 100 2.4Ghz in range of my house. I have only a few on the 5Ghz band.

I also want to note that my router is a Linksys WRT1900AC and its between 35 and 40 feet away from the Sense monitor.

So yesterday had to add the antenna extension and enabled network listening again and thought it was working fine but again this morning I looked at the app and sure enough I am seeing this large grey other bubble and only a few orange bubbles so I went and turned off network listening and sure enough when it’s on it seems like it blocks the info from my smart plugs and doesn’t track them properly. NDI still needs work and I’ll just keep that off till y’all fix it :man_shrugging:t2:

I’ve seen this too, and had reported it before (“network listening” interfering with plug discovery), and I’m also seeing some devices not showing correct info (on one plug, my espresso machine is “seen” but it’s energy use isn’t showing, or wasn’t yesterday, and appeared as “other” instead; this typically gets fixed by power cycling the HS300, but not this time…)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.