New Members/Old Members: Introduce yourself!

I love Sense! Been a customer since July 2016 (was part of the original Early Adopter program), just shows how I installed Sense and found it incredibly useful over the years! However, I recently added Solar and its utility is at least an order of magnitude better - that and I (at long last) put the primary sensors on the utility feed lines directly - versus the interior sub-panel! For the first time I can see EVERYTHING!

One thing that I wish Sense would add is the “Net Production” metric on the web app. I love the iOS app and it shows there, but occasionally I’ll jump onto home[.]sense[.]com for a more “big screen” experience. Seems like a fairly simple addition, but adding the “Net Production” number to the home[.]sense[.]com/solar page would be a fantastic addition.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

2 Likes

So what hoops do I need to jump through before I can ask a question? I’m stuck on installing solar sensors and you don’t have support on Sunday so I came here to find the answers and I’m not allowed to post a question and have no idea what I need to do before I can. So firstly, you should probably address that policy, which literally no other support forum I have used requires. I don’t want to introduce myself, I simply want answers to the issue I’m experiencing… at the weekend… when I have time to address them.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @dogfather and @gstewart! Thanks for your feedback @gstewart, I will pass this along to the appropriate parties within the Sense Team. If you have any further questions or suggestions please let us know!

1 Like

Hi, I’ve just joined the community after having solar panels installed on my house and having Sense installed in my electric panel. Still getting the hang of the app and trying to learn as much as I can. BTW I’m an architect and have been wanting to do solar for a long time. Staring at data is kind of a passion of mine. Looking forward to seeing Sense start pulling data from my house.

Welcome @stevegoodmansen,

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the New User Resources Guide (link below)

Fresh eyes always help. TIA

Mark, did you ever get your readings resolved?
Sadly, there are YouTube channels showing “how to install Sense” that have it all wrong, don’t follow them! I suspect you have one or more of the CTs out of phase.

Hi I’ve had sense since June. It stopped working in September.

I’ve been working with support since and so far all i learned is that i have to re-pair it every few hours.

If this didn’t fixed soon, i will be very upset

Hey @andrew6, someone from our Support team should be reaching out to you today.

Hi all, I work for the power company. 12 years as a lineman and three years in the control room. I’ve had my sense somewhere around 3 years and finally hooked it up less than a week ago… My Sense has already found 9 devices. I have three breaker boxes, two AC/heat pump’s, two emergency heat strip units and two hot water heaters. Sense is telling me that I consume more power than the average sense user :man_facepalming:. I’m a tech nerd and am excited about this device for future troubleshooting and all the information it’s already giving me. I’m unable to get a power quality graph so far but I figure that will come soon. We use a device similar to these in the field for customers with repeating problems but it’s a recording device that you leave on for a week or so then collect the device and sift through the data. I don’t really have a lot of smart devices, two Honeywell smart thermostats and a handful of cheap plug in smart outlet switches. All my lighting is LED. I like dry rub mesquite smoked barbecue and don’t mess it up by pouring bbq sauce all over it!

3 Likes

Welcome @S-M-I-L-3-Y ,
Good to have a power line pro joining the community ! Hope you can bring your expertise to some of the complicated questions that crop up here.

Don’t be too worried about not seeing Power Quality info. The stuff under Sense Labs hasn’t been fully productized. Occasionally the Power Quality graphs stop updating - you’re not the only one affected, but Sense is aware.

Power quality lab - graph not up-dating

2 Likes

@kevin1 Thanks for the warm welcome! I’m glad to be here and would be glad to help out if my expertise is needed. Thanks for the heads up on the power quality graph. I’m not to worried about it, I actually didn’t know Sense had that feature along with loose neutral detection and motor stalls. This is quite the helpful tool. I’m m beginning to research solar now, seems like a good bit of the Sense community has solar.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @S-M-I-L-3-Y!

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Can I Use Sense with 2x200A Panels Plus Solar

@JuliaAtSense thank you! I’m glad to be here :grin:

1 Like

Hi, I’m Terry. I’ve just installed Sense two days ago and so far it’s found my furnace. Wondering if there’s a way to tell Sense which device just turned on or off?

I’m a Low Voltage Contractor, install tech in the big homes and I’ve installed some goodies like a Lutron Radio RA2 system in my “fixer” home. I have Ecobee T-stat which plays nicely with Sense, and Alexa too. I live in snow country so I have some extra things like walkway heater and heat tape on the eaves. Also excited to see whether the jacuzzi gets recognized. I’m sure it will figure out my electric appliances soon enough.

I prefer dry rub ribs on the BBQ but a brisket on a 12 hour smoke is downright awesome!

2 Likes

@TCoupe , welcome, welcome !
When you said Sense “found” your furnace, did you get an alert in “Timeline”. If so, you should also have a hew device (besides Always On) in your Device list. You can go to the new France device and fill in more details via the Settings “gear” on the upper right.

This is kind of what the Settings will look like, though this is for my Furnace that is on a smart plug (Hence the TP-Link name and MAC address). You can rename the Furnace to be more specific and give Make/Model plus the location. But don’t don’t go overboard on naming and details - make sure this and all others are steady device detections. Sometimes it is good to wait a couple days on each new detection.

Hi, I’m Simon, Sense is part of a long habit of trying to automate everything. Joined here once I figured out I’m going to need help to get everything identified

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: How Do I Add My More Esoteric Devices to Home Inventory ? Will That Help Detection?

Hello, I have been using Sense for a couple of months now. I like it so far. I bought it to try to determine why my power bill/usage is so high compared to my neighbor/normal usage. I have noticed spikes in power usage, though so far even with electricians looking into it I have not gotten the problem resolved. Fingers crossed it will be found eventually.

Welcome @ury2ok2000 ! How long do the spikes last ? If they last long enough, you might be able to set an alert, then run to your breaker box and individually toggle them off until the spike disappears.